Friday, December 6, 2013

The Last of the Thanksgiving Turkey


After we'd had all the turkey sandwiches and salads we could eat,  all that was left of our Thanksgiving bird was the carcass and what do you do with that, besides make soup?  Even though the traditional after Thanksgiving soup is good (you know the one with carrots, celery, rice or noodles), I'm a little bored with it right now.  So I decided to spice things up and make a chili instead.  But no matter what kind of soup you make, it all begins with the last of the turkey parts in a big pot with water.  I agree, it's not all that appetizing to look at, but it yields some nice broth after a few hours and when I pick the last of the turkey off the bones, I feel happily frugal, knowing nothing was wasted and we enjoyed every last bit of goodness.
With fresh lime, cilantro, onions and garlic, a few cans from the pantry, the broth and turkey meat, I had everything I needed to make a tasty chili.  And, I never get tired of chili!
Turkey Chili
1 T. oil
1 cup diced onion
1 T. minced garlic
1 1/2 T. chili powder
1 1/2 t. cumin
1 t. dried oregano
3 cans white beans, drained
4 cups broth 
3 cups chopped turkey
1/2 cup canned, diced tomato
2 T. diced green chilis
1 can corn
2 T. lime juice (or more)
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1 (or more) diced chipotles in adobo - this is optional,
but I love the smoky flavor this adds to chili 

Saute onion.  Add garlic and spices.  Add beans and 
broth.  Cook 20 minutes.  Smash some of the beans with 
a potato smasher.  Add turkey, tomatoes, cilantro, chilis
and corn.  Squeeze fresh lime juice into chili before serving.
Top with cheese, sour cream, diced avocado, or whatever you
like on your chili.  Great with mexican cornbread or tortilla chips.
If your turkey is long gone, this would also be great made with chicken.  It warms you right up on a cold night.  I like to make a big pot, as the flavors seem to just get better as they hang out.  In other words, I want leftovers from my leftovers!  I also like to freeze it in single serving size containers for upcoming lunch meals.  Enjoy!

1 comment: