Saturday, August 2, 2014

Eating From the Garden

The kitchen is my favorite hangout, where my creative juices flow best.  I like to keep my camera close at hand so I can capture the moment; the one when the recipe works, or doesn't, the one when I've just brought in fresh produce from the garden, or when the kitchen counter is in a state of chaos because there is something wonderful cooling in the background.  These things make my heart sing.   I believe that good, real food given in each season is a gift from God and is meant to be enjoyed and celebrated with those we love.  This month's photo collection spotlights fresh food from the garden.  

July Offerings From the Kitchen
Squash, zucchini and cucumbers.  The vegetables that just keep on giving.
Squash and zucchini cut up in sticks for a stir fry. 
 I've discovered Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute is delicious on squash,
 and other things too.  It's the dried spice blend I grab most often. 
These zucchini sticks with onion dip were delicious.  You can find the recipe here.  Next time
 I will use marinara sauce for dipping.  I think I would like it better, as the onion dip had
 too much mayo in it for my taste.  Also, these need to be eaten straight from the oven. 
 Don't let them cool down too much.
I've grated a lot of zucchini for the freezer,
and for this bread.  Trust me, this is the best use for zucchini I've come across so far.
I like to grill squash and zucchini,
 to make these sandwiches.  Grilled veggies on toasted baguettes with fresh
 mozzarella and basil, drizzled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  It's really, really good!  
It wouldn't be summer without fried squash, at least once, or twice.
Fourth of July cook out in our outdoor fireplace.
I love a good hotdog cooked over a fire, with all the fixins.
 Time to make pickles.
I'm having a hard time keeping these on the shelf.  These spicy dills are beloved at my house.
It's a happy day when the beans arrive.
This green bean salad is one of my favorite ways to use small tender green beans.
When you just can't wait for the first tomato to ripen, it's time to make fried green tomatoes.
We enjoyed a family dinner with roast chicken with lots of garlic and fresh herbs.  
It made me happy to roast "my" potatoes, carrots and onions along side that bird.
Fresh dinner rolls have become a staple that I keep in my freezer.  They are so easy to make.
My first "I grew my dinner" meal.
  I love the beautiful color of beets.  I don't even mind that they make my fingers pink for a day or two.
I've been using the beet greens as well as the beets.  I've discovered they work just fine 
in place of spinach in most recipes.  They are good in egg burritos and salads,
like this one. I've got lots of recipes for using beet greens on my Pinterest page too.
Oh, how I love summer food!

2 comments:

  1. So jealous. In Durham bugs ate all of our garden and it was hard to find sun for it. Here in Oregon the growing season is so short. If I was eating just from my garden right now I could have a zucchini and a few little tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I just commented on your previous post about fried green tomatoes. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete