Wednesday, September 10, 2014

BINGO

Back in June, I decided to jump on board with the Books On the Nightstand crowd and play their summer reading Bingo game.  I liked the challenge of reading through different genres and wanted to see if I could read enough books to get Bingo by Labor Day.  I made it, barely.  This is what my summer reading looked like.

10 Short Stories
I don't usually read short stories, but a few years ago, a story by Alice Monroe was assigned as part of a Great Books Discussion group that I was attending.  I liked it and bought this book so I could read more of her work.  It has been perched in a "to be read" pile for some time.  This summer was the right time to dig it out.  The author is Canadian and most of these stories take place in the small towns around Lake Huron.  Not always happy and upbeat, but thoughtful nonetheless, the characters in these short stories find their lives altered forever by a random encounter with someone who crosses their path.  I didn't love this book in it's entirety, but I like Alice Monroe's writing style and will probably read more of her work in the future.  

With a Child on the Cover
This book was recommended by Leila on her blog.  I love her Library Project, where she reviews and recommends some of what she considers to be the best books for families.  I enjoy children's literature and like to slide a selection into my reading rotation on a regular basis.  The Railway Children was first published in 1906, so it's been around a long time, but I had never heard of it before.  I really enjoyed the story and think it would make a great read aloud (in an English accent) for a family.  Or maybe there's an audio version.  I need to start checking into more audiobooks.  Some stories are better when you can listen to someone else read them.

Biography or Memoir
I loved this one.  My copy is underlined and flagged from beginning to end.  I'm a sucker for a good homesteading tale, and this one was amazing.  It's hard for me to imagine growing up as this little girl did, miles from any town, living off the land.  Some of the things I read left me shaking my head in amazement.  They strived to follow the formula of what they considered to be the "good life" by dividing their time into three four hour segments a day, between hands, head and heart.  Four hours of bread labor would be used for things such as, chopping wood, making food, woodworking, sewing.  Four hours were devoted to intellectual pursuits, such as reading or learning to play the dulcimer.  The last four hour segment was for social time, talking and laughing together.  The pursuit of the purer, simpler lifestyle they were seeking came at a price.  One thing I really liked about this book, was all the practical tips and ideas for organic gardening.  I'll be using this as a reference guide.

Translation
 Here's a classic that I've been wanting to read for years, because  I've heard it referenced so many times in other books.  It was written in 1678 by John Bunyan and has been translated into many languages.  It's been said, there was a time when there was hardly an English speaking Christian household without a copy in their home. This religious allegory is about a man named Pilgrim and his journey through life.  He faced many difficulties and hardships along the way, but he learned to find joy in the journey.   You  might be asking, "Who was John Bunyan?"  I know I was.  I learned that he lived in Bedford, England and that his faith led him to leave the Church of England, and join a group of Puritans, where he eventually became a lay preacher.  In 1660, under the reign of Charles ll, freedom of worship was threatened and any religious services, other than those of the official Church were outlawed.  John refused to stop preaching his beliefs and was arrested.  He remained in prison for twelve years, holding firm to his beliefs.  He wrote Pilgrims Progress while imprisoned.  His life story was as interesting to me as the book he wrote.  It was a reminder of the blessing I enjoy, and often take for granted, to worship as my heart desires.
Set in Another Country
This was my adventure story.  It was about relationships and doing hard things, like climbing Mount Everest.  In this book, a fourteen year old boy, named Peak, recounts his climb to the top of the world.  I enjoyed every thing about this young adult book.

Ok.  So, those were the books I read to get BINGO.  I read a few others as I went along, before I decided for sure which direction I was headed on the Bingo board.  They were:

Recommended by a Family Member
This was recommended by my sister Cindy.  We are both Jodi Picoult fans.  I found this book hard to get into, but then all at once, it had me.  It was hard reading at times.  Books with holocaust themes always are.  And even though I wasn't really in the mood for a heavy book, there were a lot of other themes going on here too.  Not my favorite Picoult, but I would recommend it.

With a Number In the Title
I've been on a Janice Holt Giles kick this summer.  This author was beloved by my Nana, and although I had read The Enduring Hills and Miss Willie a long time ago, and loved them both, I wanted to read some of her other publications.  This author was from Kentucky and her books take place in that rugged hill country.  40 Acres and No Mule was written in 1950 and is her account of leaving the city (Louisville) and making a home with her husband on the ridge.  Her description of settling into life in a little corner of Appalachia is delightful reading.

Found In A Used Bookstore
More Janice Holt Giles.  Hannah Fowler is a pioneer woman, who along with her husband helps tame the Kentucky wilderness.  This woman is one tough cookie.  If you like novels about this period in American history, you'll like this one.

Nonfiction
Have you ever taken the time to look through the footnotes at the end of the General Conference talks?  I've found some great books to read by doing this.  I mean, if the prophets are reading them, it's probably a pretty good recommendation, don't you think? President Uchtdorf quoted selections from this book in his wonderful talk  in April's conference. I loved this talk!  It's been my tradition to read a book about the Mormon pioneers in the month of July, seeing as how we celebrate Pioneer Day on July 24th.  It helps me to remember the sacrifices that were made by those valiant  saints.  I've read plenty about the Willie and Martin handcart pioneers before, but this book was different.  It's always heartbreaking to read of the suffering that these church members went through, but it really affected me this time around, so much so that I could only read for short segments at a time and then had to close the book.  Such hardship!  What I especially liked about the way this book was laid out, was that the author introduced you to individual families from each company and followed them from their conversion to the restored gospel in England, across the ocean, to Iowa City, where they were outfitted with their handcarts and supplies, on to the 1000  mile trek across the plains.  Using information from the diaries and personal accounts of the pioneers really made the story come to life for me.  A number of summers ago, I had the privilege of pulling a handcart (with Jantzen and Kenzie's help) across Rocky Ridge, a part of the Mormon Trail in Wyoming.  It was hard work, and we didn't even have our cart loaded with supplies.  I'm so glad I had that experience, because as I read the book and came across that part of the trek, where so many died, I was back there again.  I knew what that ridge looked like in my mind.  This book humbled me to the core.  I won't even think about complaining when I have to go to "another" meeting.  I promise.

"Was I sorry that I chose to come by handcart?  No.  Neither then nor any minute of my life since.  The price we paid to become acquainted with God was a privilege to pay, and I am thankful that I was privileged to come in the Martin handcart company."
Francis Webster

I had a great time reading these books this summer and enjoyed playing the BINGO game.  Did I get a prize for winning?  Yes, I rewarded myself with a new book, or two.  I think I'll play again next year.   So how about you?  Did you read any great books this summer?  I would love to hear about them. 

1 comment:

  1. I just read "The Price we Paid" too! I'd read & enjoyed Lund's book, but really appreciated the non-fiction nature of this one as well.

    ReplyDelete