Friday, March 6, 2015

You - My Favorite New App

There are so many things I love about my smart phone.  I check the weather, log my steps, take pictures, listen to books and podcasts, practice Italian, look at the constellations, listen to music, set alarms, read scripture, text messages, check emails and Facebook, oh and sometimes, I call people too.  And to think I resisted getting that phone in the first place.  I didn't need a smart phone, I kept telling myself.  Well, now I admit I would have a hard time getting along without it. 

One of the things I'm really enjoying lately is an App called YOU by Jamie Oliver.  Do you know who he is?  I used to love watching his cooking shows on PBS.  His recipes were simple, fresh and prepared in his lovely English cottage kitchen or outside in his garden.  His chef's attire was always a flannel shirt, jeans and a beanie.  He seemed like a regular, down to earth guy, with a great accent.  I liked that.  
Each day this app gives you a simple micro-action challenge.  I'm a big fan of making positive changes with baby steps.  Little steps can add up to big changes in the long run.  This is the way I approach most things in my life.   Exercising, reading new books, learning new skills, cleaning my house, losing weight, planning meals, gardening, etc.  Each day is a compilation of small actions that I hope will yield good fruit.  The app proclaims to help you live a happier and more fulfilled life, in a couple of minutes a day. That's a pretty big promise, but I've been doing this for a month now, and it's making me happier!  It's like Instagram (which is quickly becoming my favorite social media platform) with a purpose.  Let me show you some of the things I've been doing with this app on different days this past month.
   I took this picture of eggs that my friend gave me.
Something I'm really looking forward to is my trip to Italy.
I made some freezer meals for loved ones.
My motivation to move each day is clearly so I can eat more of the  things I love.
I accept that I have too many books waiting to be read.  This is just one stash.  I'm not normally into excess, except when it comes to books.  Here, I'm excessive.    
I cherish the memory of sitting in my grandmother's living room and having her teach  me how to make cathedral window quilt squares.
Today's action was trying to do something with your non-dominant hand, to engage your brain in a new way.  I decided to write out my to-do list with my left hand.  
Not only do I enjoy the daily challenges for myself, but it's fun to "follow" others and be a part of an international community of people who are all trying to improve themselves in some way.  This is a picture from Jamie's kitchen when he was cleaning up one thing.  And here's one from his challenge to explore the neighborhood with his family.  So cute.
I love seeing the world through the eyes of people living in other countries.   This photo was taken by a lady in Mexico.  Her tactic for killing the "Monday Blues" was to notice the beauty around her.
I've been picking up some great quotes too. 
This community is so positive and I love the encouragement that it's members share with one another.  On the day that I posted my Italy picture, I had a comment from a lady who lives in northern Italy sharing some insider tips on the things I might  like to see while I was in her country.  On the Kill "Monday Blues" day, I posted a picture and comment about my morning run and received some nice feedback.
 And this lady made me feel  much better about my chocolate treat.
If this kind of thing floats your boat, you should check it out.  And if you do, be sure and look me up so we can encourage each other.  I'm totally into it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment