Monday, November 23, 2015

Friday Hikes on the Appalachian Trail

I've spent the last two Fridays with a nice group of ladies, hiking on the Appalachian Trail.  I appreciate the opportunity I've had to tag along with them and see some beautiful sights. I've had so much fun! The first hike was near Spruce Pine and even though we had sunny, blue skies, it was a cold day, especially up on the ridge. I discovered right away that these ladies don't let a little cold weather stop them (rumor has it, they've been known to hike in the snow) and I did my best to keep up with them. 

Roaring Creek Trailhead to Little Hump
(Photo Credit- Julie Eargle)
Our hiking group in front of the Overmountain Shelter
The Appalachian trail.
(Photo Credit- Julie Eargle)
We didn't have to hike far to be rewarded with some amazing long range views.  
The trail took us through a wooded section before coming out on the top of Little Hump.
So lovely.  And also, so cold.  Doesn't look cold, does it?
Take my word for it.
At this spot the wind was blowing so hard, we could hardly stand up.  We saw Big Hump in the distance, but that will have to be a hike for another day, as we were ready to get off that ridge.
 I enjoyed hiking with my friend Maggie.
(Photo Credit- Julie Eargle)
 Seeking shelter from the wind for a picnic lunch.  This turned out to be a great spot.
The white blaze is a welcomed site.


This hike totaled about six miles, in and out.  It was a great day. 

Our latest hike was from
Beauty Spot to Unaka Mountain, Tennessee
The trailhead begins here.  Wow!  
From this spot, the trail takes you through the woods, where you can continue to see mountain views through the trees.  Following the North Carolina/Tennessee line, we hiked on a rocky trail covered with leaves.  I kept my eyes on the trail, as I've just recovered from a nasty fall and didn't want to repeat that experience.  I borrowed Jantzen's trekking poles and they saved me more than once.  1 trip,  a couple of slips, 0 falls.  I'm asking Santa for my own poles for Christmas. We saw several stiles on the trail, but the fence was cut so we didn't have to use them.
This was our group today,
(Photo Credit- Julie Eargle)
and that mountain was our destination.
After climbing 1600 feet to the summit of Unaka mountain, we found ourselves in a dense spruce forest with lots of new growth.
I learned how the little spruce trees were growing from a rotted tree, called a nurse log.  This was so interesting.
(Photo Credit- Julie Eargle)
We found a nice mossy spot to sit and have our lunch.
And yes, I had my mouthful when this picture was taken. 
(Photo Credit- Julie Eargle)
Seven miles later, we were back at Beauty Spot where we began.  It certainly lives up to it's name.   Another great day of hiking!  I feel blessed to live in such a beautiful place.

No comments:

Post a Comment