Thursday, February 9, 2017

Let's Climb the Fire Tower

The Girls in the Woods were off to Tennessee for this hike.  I had missed a few weeks and was ready to get back on the trail.  It was a cold day though, and I struggled to keep my hands warm.  I'm investing in some hand warmers for the rest of these winter hikes.  Jeannette and Maggie shared theirs with me and it made all the difference.  A real friend shares her hand warmers.
Even with the cold weather, it was a beautiful day.  I love the browns of winter, with an occasional splash of evergreen.  We had some long range views through the trees as we climbed.
Pretty rocks under my feet.
We were making some elevation gains!
I like to hike near the back, so I can stop to take pictures.  I have to be careful not to get too far behind though, because these girls are moving on and I don't want the group to have to wait on me.  The disadvantage to being in the back, is that when the group stops for a rest, they are ready to go again by the time you get there.   
Four miles behind us and one to go.
(Photo courtesy of Julie Eargle)
This fire tower was our destination.  It doesn't look that tall, but climbing it made me nervous.  I think it was all the open stairs and railing.  I was glad Maggie was behind me to encourage me when I began to think maybe I didn't want to go all the way to the top after all.  She told me I did.
This was on the ceiling.
The view from the top.  Imagine it like this on all sides.
Julie and Susan
Here we are.  Coral's holding on to me tightly.  It was windy up there!
(Photo courtesy of Julie Eargle)
(Photo courtesy of Julie Eargle)
Time for lunch.  I had packed soup in a thermos and man did it hit the spot!
(Photo courtesy of Julie Eargle)
Margie and Maggie
(Photo courtesy of Julie Eargle)
My back side.
(Photo courtesy of Julie Eargle)
It was a great day.  It was a cold day.  I didn't warm up until I got home and took a hot bath.  When my brain thawed a little, I started thinking some thoughts. It would've been easy to have chosen to stay home today. I could've wrapped up in a blanket and read a book and piddled around the house.  But, I'm glad I chose to hike.  It was good for me to be outdoors and breathe in the fresh air.  It was good for me to push myself to hike up a mountain (almost ten miles!).  It was good for me to climb that fire tower, even though it made me nervous.  I felt like I had faced my fears when I was standing on the top, having pushed myself out of my comfort zone. It was good to be around these women who make me want to be better just by being with them.  It was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment