Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Birthdays Are For Doing Things You Love!

After turning fifty last year and all the hoopla that accompanied that event, turning fifty-one could seem a little anticlimactic.  But I have a way of throwing myself into celebrations, so this year I had a week of fun that led up to a day "filled with all the things I love".  I think that's exactly how birthdays should be, don't you?  And I didn't go far from home to do it.  The fun began early in the week, when my friend took me out for lunch at one of our favorite restaurants.
You know the salad bar is going to be good, when the crackers look like this.  No Captain's Wafers here, folks. I love Jason's Deli, because their bar is filled with organic vegetables and all things mediterranean.  Cheeses, olives, beets, Israeli couscous salad and so much more.  I also had a cup of their seafood gumbo.  Very,very yummy!
After lunch we spent the afternoon at the Arboretum walking through the gardens looking at the lovely plants.  It's hard to believe, but I've lived in this area for twenty-five years and have never been to the Arboretum.  I've been missing out.  This quilt garden was one of my favorite exhibits.
And the bonsai collection was fun too.
 Miniature trees are just cool.  That's all there is to it.
It was a perfect day for being outdoors.  Thank you Tara, for the nicest afternoon. 
On the big day, I woke up at the crack of dawn.  I had so many things I wanted to fit into this day, that I 
I didn't want to waste any time.  My flower loving husband surprised me with this beautiful arrangement.
What a guy!  I sure do love him.
Then I was off to do all the things I love.  First stop was the Curb Market.  I enjoy walking around and talking to the local folk about their products: everything from plants, food, soaps, jewelry and more.
I bought some of that pussy willow and a bar of the most wonderful smelling lavender, shea butter soap.
Next on the agenda, was to drop by the Co-op and buy a good candy bar for later on.  Chocolate is a must on my birthday.
Then I popped into this awesome little bakery in town and picked up bread for the weekend and a blueberry scone for moi.  Sorry, good bread just brings out the French in me.
Would you look at the size of that chocolate brioche!
What would a day of indulgences be for me without a trip to a bookstore for a new book?
I chose a cookbook, because I don't have very many and I needed just one more. ( Yeah, right!)
But look how pretty the pictures are and the recipes sound great. I can't wait to try some of them.  Thanks Dad.  This is how I spent that birthday money you sent me.
After an hour or more of browsing in the bookstore, it was time for lunch.  I decided to treat myself to PF Changs.
I love those lettuce wraps and crab wontons.

I ate and ate and enjoyed every bite!  I knew I was getting ready to work off my lunch, so I didn't feel the least bit guilty.  It was a beautiful day for a hike, so I drove to Pisgah Forest to spend a few hours in the woods. This is my all time favorite hike.
The spring wildflowers were putting on a show.  Although I don't usually hike alone, today it was nice to enjoy the solitude. 
This view from the rock bald never fails to take my breath away.  Sitting on top, it was quiet and I had time to reflect on my past year and make some plans for the new one.  
After hiking up the mountain, it seemed like a fine time to enjoy that candy bar.
The day was almost over, but I had just enough time to fit in a bike ride along the Davidson River. 
After my ride, I hurried home to get ready for a date with my sweetie.  He took me to one of my favorite restaurants - Hobnobs in Brevard.  Somehow we made it in and out without getting a decent picture. But I expect you're getting tired of seeing pictures of me eating anyway.


Now that is how I celebrate a birthday -a day filled to the brim with my favorite foods, activities and people.  Throughout the day I received phone calls, lovely cards, text messages, Facebook greetings and the cutest rendition of  "Happy Birthday" from the Shelton-Poole choir.  I am blessed to have so many wonderful friends and family.  On Sunday, I topped off the celebration by having dinner with a few of my kids.   The grand finale was chocolate lava cake and ice cream.  I saved the best for last! 
These kiddos know what mom loves.  Something new for the kitchen - the green pan.  Have you heard about this?  No oil needed and nothing sticks!  It really works. Kenzie and I decided it looks just about the right size for a crepe pan! Oh, I do love crepes...
Not too shabby for a boring year like fifty- one, huh?  So, if you ever need help celebrating your birthday, give me a call.  I can help you make it a day to remember!

3 comments:

  1. Fun Post. So glad your birthday was joyful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you! I remember my first hike to John Rock during girls camp. I even took PJ there- it is a wonderful hike with a great present at the end. Also love Hobnobs. It's me and my mom's favorite place to go. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great celebration! I love you.

    ReplyDelete