Thursday, August 9, 2012

He Likes Fruit Pies, She Likes Chocolate

He likes fruit pies...
and I don't mind a nice slice of peach pie, warm with a little ice cream on top, myself.   After all, this is the season for good fruit pies.  But my better half would choose a fruit pie any time of the year.  He loves fruit and crunchy pastry.   However, if I were to choose dessert...well, it would almost always involve some good chocolate.  Yes,
She definitely likes chocolate...
and nothing, I mean nothing, can cure a chocolate craving like this molten chocolate cake!
The first time I ever had molten chocolate cake was in Atlanta, Georgia.  Many years ago, when I still had a houseful of kids and way before molten lava cake was on every restaurant menu in the country, I loaded my car with a few friends and we escaped, sans kids, for a little French weekend in Atlanta.  Since none of us planned to travel abroad any time soon, we dreamed of being in France as we strolled through the Monet exhibit at the High Museum and enjoyed dinner at a downtown, French restaurant.  When the dessert menu was presented at the beginning of the meal, instead of the end, I was sure I was in the right place!   That little chocolate cake that was prepared and baked while I had dinner, was the highlight of the trip.  Tres bon!   Oh, how I've reminisced about that trip and that dessert.

Imagine my surprise when I learned how easy it is to make chocolate molten cake at home.  I have to be careful with this one though.  I've made it my "special occasion" dessert and try to reserve it for birthdays or holidays.  However, now that my daughter has learned how to make it herself,  I've found that she can declare any day a "special occasion" if she's in the mood for some good chocolate.  Poor girl, I'm afraid she inherited my love for chocolat!   If you too, love rich, dark, warm, gooey chocolate desserts, then this one's for you.  And as far as I'm concerned, chocolate is always in season!

Molten Chocolate Cake
6 (1oz.) squares bittersweet chocolate
2 (1oz.) squares semi sweet chocolate
10 T. butter
1/2 cup plain flour
1 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
3 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
1 t. vanilla

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Grease 6 custard cups with butter.  Melt the chocolate
and butter in a microwave or in a double boiler. Add the flour and sugar to the 
chocolate mixture.  Stir in the eggs and yolks. Stir in the vanilla.  Divide batter
evenly among custard cups. Place in oven and bake for 14 minutes.  Edges should be
firm but the center will be runny.  Run a knife around the edge of each cup to
loosen.  Invert onto dessert plates.  Serve warm with fruit, whipped cream or ice cream.  

2 comments:

  1. I've experienced it, and it is so YUMMY! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow- WOW! That is super easy. I'm going to have to resist, but I will pin for the time I am able to eat it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete