Monday, November 26, 2012

Two Approaches to Preparing Talks

On a list of the top ten fears, public speaking ranks second, coming right behind fear of flying, and just ahead of fear of heights.  I'm not afraid to fly and most of the time I'm not afraid of heights, although I don't like sitting at the top of the ferris wheel, but I think it's the openness, and the rocking that make me crazy.  Public speaking, well that one I'm still working on.  In our church, everyone has the opportunity to learn to overcome this fear.  The little children learn to give talks in primary from the time they're three years old.  The teenagers and adults speak in our worship services.  Giving a talk in sacrament meeting can be a harrowing experience, but like most things, it does get easier the more you do it.  And even when you bomb, kind people still tell you what a great job you did.  Mormons are nice that way.

This week, my husband and I both had assignments to speak in sacrament meeting.  Unfortunately, they weren't in the same location.  Mark was able to catch my talk, since we have early meetings and then he rushed off to present his.  What was really interesting for me was the different approaches we took in preparing our talks.  All week, I worked on my topic.  I prayed.  I researched quotes from general authorities.  I poured over my scriptures, trying to find just the right passages.  I typed, and retyped, until I felt pretty good about the talk.  Then I would remember something else I wanted to use and would go back to add it, then reprint.  In retrospect, the whole process was pretty intense.  I worked in the quiet hours of the morning, so I could concentrate without interruptions.  After mulling over things all week, at seven o'clock on Saturday evening, I printed off the last copy and decided it would have to do.
Mark mentioned his talk a few times during the week, but I never saw him write down a thing. Then on Saturday, he was resting on the bed and when he got up, he said, "I know what I'm going to speak about.  I've got it all worked out in my mind."  And that was that.  I am amazed at how he can do this.  Although, I didn't hear his talk, I've heard him speak before and he does a great job. But he uses practically no notes (maybe a few post its), speaking mostly from his life experiences.  I am so jealous!  I want to be able to do that.  I've often thought those who speak from their hearts, instead of their notes are the best speakers.  I've also made the observation that many of those speakers just happen to be men.  Is this a male/female thing?  Are woman more compulsive about having every note in order before standing before a group?

What was confirmed to me this week, is how the spirit works so individually with each of us, tutoring and guiding in the way that works for us.  Also, the Lord knows each of our circumstances and gives us the grace to work within the confines of those limits.  Mark is a busy man.  He works hard and doesn't have the time to sit and study for hours, researching church archives, looking for just the right references.   Yet, because he is willing to serve, the Lord gives him inspiration in a flash.  He says it even surprises him sometimes how quickly the ideas come.  I have to say this doesn't seem quite fair, but the Lord knows me and knows what I need and obviously He feels like I need to work a little harder for it.  There is no "one right way" to deliver a message.  I know this.  And Mark's way isn't better than mine or vice versa.  But I do covet his way. (I know, I'm not supposed to covet.)

Sometimes I wonder what might happen if I just left my notes behind and tried this extemporaneous  approach.  The thought terrifies me.  That's because I want to feel like I'm prepared and in control, but what if I let the spirit be in control?  What might he do with my words?  I'm not ready to go there just yet, but I might try blogging extemporaneously from time to time, just for fun.  Whatever the fingers type will be published.  Just typing that sentence made my little "editing" heart tremble.  Are you willing to read my rambling thoughts?  I'll warn you ahead of time, it could be scary stuff!

How do you feel about public speaking?  How do you prepare?  Do you have tips that you would share?

2 comments:

  1. This is interesting to me because PJ and I are opposites from you and Mark but more specifically about teaching styles rather than giving talks. I love to have a discussion where as he has every little things written out and planned. A lot of times I take things like topics or lesson manuals as suggestions or a springboard. I love your insight that the spirit works through people differently and look forward to reading your "rambling thoughts'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prepare the same way you do. I would like to be able to do it Mark's way - but THAT is the part that makes me nervous!! When I prepare and prepare then I have no fear.

    ReplyDelete