Thursday, November 29, 2012

Pan Pizza

How about another pizza recipe?  I know, I know.  I already gave you this one and this one, but pizza possibilities are endless.  And this one is totally different than the recipes I've already given you.  Pan pizza is decadent, what with all that crust and those yummy toppings, and I probably wouldn't order it if I were eating in a pizza parlor.  The guilt would kick in before it was ever set on my table.  But every once in a while, it's okay!  Pan pizza can be eaten in moderation, or so I've convinced myself.  And when you can make it at home and it tastes as good, if not better, than your local pizzeria, then that just makes it all the better.  This recipe delivers in every way, except the one where they ring your doorbell and you have to pay a ridiculous amount of money in exchange for your pie.  Do it this way instead. 

A couple of hours before you want to eat, mix up the dough.
Pan Pizza Dough
1 1/3 cup warm water
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
1/2 t. salt
4 cups unbleached plain flour
1 T. instant yeast (SAF)
1 T. sugar
2 T. vegetable oil

Put water, sugar, yeast and dry milk in bread mixer.  Mix. Allow to sit for a couple
of minutes.  Add oil and mix again.  Add flour and salt and mix until flour is absorbed.
Knead for ten minutes.  
Divide dough into three balls.
Cover the bottom of three 9" cake pans with oil
Using a rolling pan, roll each ball into a 9" circle
and place in cake pans.
Spray the top with cooking spray and cover with a plate.  I hope you're reading this and not just looking at the pictures, because I would suggest you flip that plate upside down.  I obviously did not and the dough stuck to the top of the plate a little.   Next time I will spray the top of the plate and put it on upside down.   Allow to rise in a warm area for about an hour.
Top with your favorite pizza sauce.  I like to make my own while the dough rises.  It's easy, easy and tastes so delicious.  You can find my recipe here.  Then add some cheese, your toppings and top with a little more cheese.  Oh, why not?  If you're going to be eating pan pizza, I see no reason to scrimp on the cheese.
Bake at 450 degrees for about fifteen minutes.  Be prepared to be amazed at how yummy this is.
If you don't have enough people to eat three pizzas, that's okay, because they freeze beautifully.  I love that we can eat pizza tonight and then I can have one or two stashed away for another day.  "Cook once, eat twice" is a smart use of your time. 
Doesn't that make you want to have pizza for dinner?  Go ahead.  It's worth a little extra treadmill time.

1 comment:

  1. THAT is a lovely pizza! I will have to try your sauce recipe too!!! I love seeing you and your aprons here. I've been wearing the one you gave me a lot this week - I call it my Relief Society apron - my "uniform" Love you my friend!

    ReplyDelete