Sunday, December 2, 2012

A Different Kind Of Advent Calendar

How I love Advent, those days leading up to Christmas, filled with longing, joy and preparation.  There are so many types of counting that could be done that I can't narrow my choices down to just one.  So among the Advent celebrations that I enjoy, is this one that's a little different than most.  From the first of December until Christmas Day, I will be counting the appropriate privilege/blessing and putting my monetary contributions in a small jar.  I guess it would be easier to just write out a check for a set amount, but I like the counting involved each day.  It's a fun and meaningful way to be reminded of how very blessed I am, to have things I take for granted every day, like dishes and hot water.  And even though my contributions may not add up to a large sum, I do believe every little bit helps.   After Christmas, I'll donate the money I've collected to a charity that helps those who live in poverty.  Would you like to join me in this countdown to Christmas?

Countdown to Christmas
1- 50 cents for every hot water tap in your house
2- 75 cents for every vehicle your family owns
3- 25 cents for every pair of jeans you own
4- 50 cents if your family subscribes to the newspaper
5- 25 cents for every bed in your house
6- 10 cents for every beauty makeup item you own
7- 10 cents for every pair of footwear
8- 10 cents for every light switch in your house
9- 25 cents for every tub/shower
10- 50 cents for every flushing toilet
11- 10 cents for every bar/ dispenser of soap
12- 50 cents if you have dishes to eat off of
13- 50 cents if you have cooking pots in your cupboards
14- 10 cents for every window in your house
15-  25 cents for every outside door
16-  50 cents for every television in your house
17-  25 cents for every magazine subscription
18-  50 cents if your family has more than twenty five music CD's
19-  25 cents for every meal you had with meat this past week.
20-  25 cents for every non-water beverage you drank yesterday
21-  50 cents if you have a snow blower or a gas/electric lawn mower
22-  10 cents for every item of hair care stuff
23-  25 cents for every bedroom in your house
24-  10 cents for every blanket in your house
25-  10 cents for every gift you received this Christmas




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun! Even though I'm a college student, it's interesting to read through that list and recognize how many things I have even now!

    ReplyDelete