Sunday, December 23, 2012

A Christmas Program for Jesus

I've been to many Christmas Sacrament programs over the years and always enjoyed them.  I love hearing the Christmas story read from the scriptures and other inspired works, complemented by beautiful music.  The chapel decorated with poinsettias and the congregation dressed in lots of red and green, lends a festive atmosphere.  It's one of my favorite Sabbath's of the year.  And today's program was no exception. In fact,there was something about it that just might have made it my favorite program ever.

I guess I should set the stage a little for those who might not have attended a Sacrament meeting in the Mormon Church.  Our Sacrament would compare to most worship services of other faiths.   It's called Sacrament because each Sunday we have the opportunity to partake of the emblems of the sacrament of the Lord's supper.  We consider it our most sacred meeting in the church.  We are also a lay church, which means we don't have paid ministry of any kind.  The programs and all the administration of the church is taken care of by the members, who are called to their positions by inspired leaders.  We humbly accept and do the best we can, believing that we will receive grace from the Lord and support from each other.  We have many opportunities to learn and grow.

Today's program was written by one of our members and others were asked to participate through song or narration.  Far from being a "professional production", it was an offering of love and it was perfect in all the ways that matter.  On the way home, I pondered what it was about this particular program that made it different from others and why I loved it so much.   And here's what I've come up with; it's because the program highlighted children, the elderly, the handicapped and parents with children in tow.  And because of the smell.  Let me explain.

The program opened with a sweet family standing at the podium and a solo by the cutest five year old  boy you will ever see.  He sang a cappella and enjoyed having that microphone all to himself as he sang about a star that shone brightly on the first Christmas.   A men's quartet sang several songs and included one of the oldest members of our congregation who I've never heard sing before and had to be helped to the podium because of his difficulty with walking.  He was front and center and could be heard well and I was so happy to be there to hear him.  Our small group of primary children sang two lovely songs.  I was near the front and could hear, as well as see , the cute wiggles, nudging and elbowing by brothers standing beside each other, and the precious blonde haired, blue eyed angel who was standing on tip toe and could still barely see over the railing.  From the back of the chapel, I could hear the "almost Sunbeam" protesting that he wanted to sing too and before the songs were over , he had made his way up the aisle and stood just in front of the little group.  Later in the program, when one of the fathers handed off his toddler to a grandparent, so he could sing, she starting crying and couldn't be consoled until he picked her up again.  While trying to sing, she took his face in both hands and turned it around so he would look at her.   He managed to make it through the song and even though he's talented, she stole the show!   So cute!  Even the aroma of a dirty diaper (from that adorable baby behind me) that drifted my way, was a reminder that the first Christmas was not clean and hygienic.  The program concluded when the benediction was given by a vision impaired member of our congregation, who was helped to the podium by a friend.

I thought to myself how pleased it must make the Savior to see the offerings of love made by young and old at this Sacrament meeting.  When Jesus was on earth, he was often found spending time with and blessing the fringe members of society,  people like women, children, the sick and afflicted.  Rather than hobnobbing with the elite, he sought out those lower on the social ladder.  Everything about his birth, demonstrated humility.  Into poverty, the King and the Savior of the world, was born in a stable and laid in a manger.  The lowly shepherds were the first to receive the news of his birth.

The first Christmas was simple and humble and unpretentious in every way.  Our Christmas program today was much the same and I think it was a perfect gift to the Savior.  I just know He loved it.  Sometimes we get so caught up in wanting everything to look, sound, smell and taste perfect at Christmas.  I'm certainly guilty of that.  I spent six hours in my kitchen yesterday baking lots of goodies, so it would taste like Christmas for my family.  But it's because of my love for them that I did it.  And it's because of the Savior's love for me that I can love them so much.  The true Christmas spirit is love.   I'm thankful to my brothers and sisters at church this morning who reminded me once again how to focus on others as Jesus did and how to love unconditionally.  With His help, I hope I can.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment