Monday, April 22, 2013

Happy Birthday Kenzie!


Twenty one years ago today, a little girl was born into a family of brothers.  When the ultrasound informed us that we were going to have a girl, I wasn't sure I believed it.  After all, machines can be wrong.  But I hoped.  Then when she was born, I kept saying, "I can't believe we have a girl", over and over again.  But it was true, a girl we had, and in an instant we entered the world of pink and purple, hair bows, dolls and ponies.  And oh, what a wonderful world it's been.
She was the princess.  Just ask her, she'll tell you. She had us all wrapped around her fingers.
Raising a girl is a lot different than raising a boy.  I found that out right quickly.  With three brothers ahead of her, I felt like I was in my groove with boys, but this little girl was completely different.  Boys take it as it comes and can brush things off pretty quickly, but girls are emotional!   And that intensifies as they get older.  As much as she enjoyed trying to keep up with her brothers, she was definitely her own person. 
Halloween was lots of fun.  Suddenly I had to come up with new,girly costumes instead of my typical routine of trying to talk my boys into recycling through the box of existing costumes. No- pirates, spider man and Harry Potter would not work here. 
The pets became larger and lots more work, though I did love watching her ride her horse.
Years of 4 H presentations, brownie meetings, girls camp, music lessons, homeschooling, birthday parties and field trips around the world, all seem to have passed in a blur.  I've blinked my eyes and my little girl has become a lovely young woman with her life ahead of her.
She still loves those brothers,
and I find I enjoy her company more and more each day.
Whether we're picking apples, baking cookies, knitting or taking off on a trip, she's good company to have around.   And I find that she has taught me things that I could have never learned from her brothers.  Like how to make cheesecake for instance.   The girl can make a killer cheesecake!  I'm so proud of the direction she is headed in her life and know she will succeed at anything she puts her mind to.  
Happy Birthday Leah Mekenzie Wray.
Heavenly Father knew we needed a girl in our family.
He knew we needed you! 
We sure love you...
Brothers, be warned.  Your birthdays are coming up soon...

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Kenzie. Love you bunches!

    ReplyDelete