Thursday, April 25, 2013

That Eighties Wedding...

Thirty- two years ago today, I was preparing to walk down the aisle to be married to the man who had
become my best friend.  We were total opposites and crazy in love.  Young and broke and not sure 
where life would take us, and all we wanted was to spend every moment together.  
I mean, really, do you blame me?  He was a "hottie" and I was completely smitten!  Indulge me as I take a little walk down memory lane to April 25, 1981.  We were twenty years old.  Can you believe it?  So young!
We were married at the First Baptist Church in Jonesville, NC.  This is my mom helping me get ready.  Oh, how I miss my mom!
Mark and his dad
These lovely ladies were my attendants.
My sister, Sherri, was my maid of honor.
I was scared to death.  Happy, but scared.
The newly weds!
With my family  
and Mark's family

and with our grandparents.  This picture is especially precious to me as all of our grandparents 
have passed on since that time.
My mother catered my reception and made my cake.  She was so talented.  I should have learned how to decorate cakes from her when I had the opportunity.  It's a skill that would have come in handy for years to come.  No time.  I was too caught up in other things - hence the wedding pictures.  :)
We had a very simple and lovely reception.
And we're off.  Our life together begins.  I think Mark's expression says it all.
On our fourth anniversary, April 25, 1985, we took our first son Travis (who was six months old), 
to the Washington, DC temple and there we were sealed for time and all eternity.
What an amazing day.

The last thirty two years have been filled with joy and happiness, along with struggles and sorrow.
That's what life is all about and I wouldn't  have wanted to take this journey with anyone else. We were young and naive when we stepped out of that church so many years ago, but we've grown up together (well, we're trying) , raised an amazing family and now we find ourselves in another phase of life as we watch our children chart lives of their own.  It's taking some getting used to, this emptying nest, but   with God's grace we'll make it through this one too.  I enjoy having time to spend together and getting to know this man even better.  After thirty years, I'm discovering that I've just scratched the surface.  But that's okay.  Eternity is a long time.

*Edited from the archives.

1 comment:

  1. Love your post. Happy Anniversary to you both. Love you!

    ReplyDelete