Saturday, May 4, 2013

That Third Baby's A Charm

Even though this is not the best picture (note to self- you really have got to get busy on that photo project), it captures that moment when after hours of toil and labor, your child is placed in your arms and you can't stop looking at them, or kissing them.  This was back in the days before you knew the gender of your child before they were born and had everything in monogrammed order when you left the hospital.  That moment just after you asked the question, "Is it a boy or a girl?".  And I'm sure I must have said, "Of course it's a boy. That's what we do best!"    After Travis and Dillon, now we had Jantzen.  My three sons.
On May 4, 1989, Jantzen Cole joined our family of boys.  In the hospital, he slept peacefully.  He must have been resting up before heading home to meet those brothers whose pictures were taped to his little bed. 
They were excited to see him (and get big brother gifts!)  Now we found ourselves outnumbered.  There were more children in the house than adults.
It turns out, we had nothing to worry about.  This third baby was a charm.  A good sleeper and easily entertained by his brothers, he was laid back and just happy to be alive.  Not to mention, this was the only child I had who potty trained in one day!  Sorry Jantzen, but I just had to say that, because when you're a mother, this is a pretty big deal!  
Little did we know when we took him on his first campout, that this was the beginning of a love for the great outdoors, that would lead him to hike and camp thousands of miles from home in years to come.
Those big brown eyes could melt this mother's heart, any, time!
Isn't he just so darned cute?   I always loved that cowlick.
Since I did not enjoy putting together Halloween costumes, I was grateful for a kid who was happy with the simple.  I think he totally pulled off this Harry Potter look, don't you?  And yep, we're talking glasses, a cape and a wand.  My kind of costume!
Inheriting the "travel bug" from his mom, Jantzen and I have taken some fun trips together over the years.  He was a great companion when we (Kenzie, Jantzen and I) set out on a month long road trip across the country, helping with everything from driving, setting up tents, loading and unloading cars.
When Kenzie was becoming road weary and a little "over" this sight seeing vacation, Jantzen insisted she had to get out of the car and walk to the edge of the Grand Canyon.  "You don't drive all the way to the Grand Canyon and look at if from your car", he said.  I love the way this picture reminds me of that moment and his encouraging attitude!
On another vacation, I snapped this photo of Dillon and Jantzen with their morning hair.  And those morning expressions. " Really mom?  Your gonna take our picture now?"  These two had no idea the adventures they would share in the years ahead.
A NOLS course in Mexico, followed by hiking on the Appalachian Trail gave them an education and memories they would carry with them for the rest of their lives. 
Lucky for me, I now have a fantastic guide when I want to tag along on an overnight hiking trip.  You can go here and here to read about my awesome adventure.  
Whether we're in the woods or hanging out on the farm, Jantzen is just good company to have around.
From somewhere back in the family gene pool comes a love for music and a talent to perform.  All of my children seem to have it.  Unfortunately, I missed out on that one.  But some of my most joyful moments have been watching my boys play music together.  Jantzen has always looked up to and admired Travis for his musical skills.  And even though their styles in music are vastly different, they continue to support each other in their endeavors. 
These days he's making music his career, with Dillon, as part of Old North State.   
Today I wish Jantzen a very Happy Birthday.  At 24 years of age, he's become a fine young man.  I'm pleased to see him working hard at the things that bring meaning to his life.   But most of all, I see a good, kind, hard working man with a servant's heart.  Whether he's jumping up to unload groceries or wash dishes for me, raising money for the poverty stricken or helping with children or the elderly, he thinks of others before himself and above all else, these are the qualities that really matter.
We love you Jantzen!

1 comment: