Monday, May 20, 2013

Strawberry Goodness in a Muffin Tin

I've decided May is my new favorite month.  What was my old favorite month?  Well, October, of course.  And when October rolls around, I will love it all over again.  But for now, I am in love with May.  The weather is perfect, not too hot and not too cold.  I've been sitting on my front porch and deck almost every day listening to the birds and admiring the blossoming trees and flowers.  I am surrounded by green (that's my favorite color!).  And if all that weren't enough, I've been eating asparagus from my garden and ... the strawberries and rhubarb are  ready!  Yes, it's a great time to be alive.  
While gearing up to make jam, pies and other strawberry delicacies later in the month, this morning I decided to kick things off with my strawberry rhubarb muffins.  They're quick and easy and one of my husband's favorites.  I start by dicing my rhubarb and strawberries, setting them aside to be added later.

This is your basic muffin recipe technique, where you mix dry and wet ingredients separately and then combine.  To start, in a large bowl, I measure flour with baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon and brown sugar.
In another bowl,  I whisk the egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla.
Now it's time to pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently stir.
Then I fold in strawberries and rhubarb, being careful not to over mix.  I'm going for nice tender muffins here and over mixing will make them tough.
In a small bowl, I put together a little topping to sprinkle on the muffins.  I love biting into a crunchy top muffin.  In fact, this topping could be used on any muffin recipe.  I'm thinking blueberry would be especially nice.
Now they are ready to go into the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.  See how easy this is.
 In fact, waiting for them to cool is by far the hardest part.  Enjoy!
Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins
2 3/4 cup unbleached plain flour
1 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. salt
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 t. vanilla
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
3/4 cup diced fresh rhubarb

In large bowl, combine first six ingredients.  In another bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla.  Stir into dry ingredients , just until moistened.  Fold in strawberries and rhubarb.  Fill
muffin tins 2/3 full.  In small bowl, combine 1/2 cup chopped pecans, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/2 t. cinnamon.  Cut in 1 T. cold butter until it looks like coarse crumbs.  Sprinkle over batter.  Bake 
at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

1 comment: