Friday, August 16, 2013

Happy Birthday #1

I've had a lot of fun this year writing Birthday posts for my kids.  Today I'm going to wind that down where it all began.  The first shall be last.  Last, but not least.  Ok, enough of that.  I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that I have an adult child (once a child, always a child to your mama) who is 29 years old today.  Travis, how can this possibly be?  When I look at this picture, I realize I was practically a child myself, when I had you. ( I figured it was only fair play for me to share in some of the embarrassing pictures.)  And you've survived, and even thrived, in spite of it.
Being the eldest child brings it challenges.   Parenting was new to us and we experimented on you, but love covers a multitude of mistakes and we were so in love with you!   There is nothing in a mother's life to compare to the first pregnancy, first birth, first bath (my mom had to come and help me), first Christmas (how many babies get to be baby Jesus?), first everything!  It's all new and exciting.
For twenty- two months, it was just you and me and I loved every minute of it.  Well, of course Dad was there sometimes, but most of the day it was just the two of us, with life revolving around naps, feeding schedules and outings.
Shortly after you were born, we moved to Vermont (much to the dismay of the grandparents) and started our New England adventure.  
Money was pretty tight back then, but we found plenty to do, as we took delight in discovering a new part of the country and introducing the world to you.  We hiked, we went camping, we played in the leaves.  Dad had the car and I had the stroller and on nice days we would walk through our little town (complete with covered bridge) and go to the park or to the Dime Store and maybe even buy a new toy or book.  I look back on those days with the fondest of memories.  It was an idyllic place and time.
I attribute your love for reading to the fact that we read books every day, multiple times a day.  There was plenty of time for reading, as this was before the days of computer programs and we could only get one fuzzy channel on our tv.  Now don't you feel old?  ( As you can see in this picture, baby brother would soon make an appearance and your only child days would be over.)
And then in the winter, there was snow.  Lots of snow.  You could barely walk in all that snow.  We sat you down on the top of the picnic table for this picture.
You were a fun, precocious little boy that made everyone around you smile.  With an early grasp of language skills, you could tell some amazing stories.
Being the eldest, your brothers were always trying to keep up with you. ( wonder why you were wearing Dillon's shirt...)
As a teenager, you experimented with the spiky hair and found outlets for your musical talents with the symphony, singing your heart out as lead in the senior play and in the basement bands.
I will never forget all those band practices in the basement....
Although you weren't a difficult teenager,  this was all new for me too.  Riding this roller coaster was one I wasn't prepared for and once again you were our guinea pig.  All I can say is, sorry for the hard days.  I felt like those years would never end, maybe you did too, but they did and we both survived them!  And now...
look at you!  Your a man (who in some of these pictures, looks very much like your dad did at this age), finding your own way and making a life for yourself.  You're in that season of hard work, of establishing relationships and a career.  It takes so much time and effort to figure it all out.  But with your talent, intelligence and work ethic, you're doing a fine job and we know you'll find success in whatever brings you fulfillment and joy.  With your current interest in food and dining, I've enjoyed having someone to introduce me to fun restaurants and talk the foodie lingo.  Mothers never stop learning from their children, in fact, sometimes I think I'm learning more from you than you ever did from me.  And even though we don't see you as much as we'd like, when we do get to spend time together, it's precious time.  
Happy, Happy Birthday Travis!  Heavenly Father sure blessed our family when He sent you to us. You are one special son and we love you bunches!

1 comment:

  1. Your post made me cry! I love all the pictures! Sure hope to see Travis when we are in for a quick visit in September. Happy Birthday Travis! Love you bunches.

    ReplyDelete