Thursday, August 29, 2013

Toaster Strudels

I really have been doing other things besides baking lately- things like hosting a book club meeting and taking a new photography class top the list, and I'm going to post about those soon, but I am on a roll with this cookbook project, so I thought I'd go ahead and share the next recipe.  Mastering that wonderful pastry crust recipe, opened up new possibilities for other delicious goodies. I was anxious to try those home made PopTarts on the cover of Alana's book.
First of all, my husband said I should not, even, call them Pop Tarts because they weren't anything like the cardboard tasting pastry treats that come from the store.  My neighbor stopped by the day I made them and I gave her one to take home and try.  She sent me a note saying the "strudel" was wonderful.  So, toaster strudels they are.

Here's how I made them.  After pulling the perfect pastry dough out of the refrigerator and letting it sit on the counter for about 10 minutes, I rolled it into a rectangular shape, cutting around each side to eliminate the rough edges.  Of course you could use refrigerated pastry dough purchased from the store if you didn't want to make your own.  But that perfect pastry dough recipe is easy and delicious!
I cut the large rectangle into 6 smaller ones.  I carefully lifted one of the rectangles onto the baking sheet and brushed it with an egg wash.
Then I put a tablespoon of jam down the center of the dough.  I used blackberry, strawberry and raspberry and we liked them all, but my personal favorite was the raspberry.  
Another pastry rectangle went on top and then I used a fork to gently press the edges together.
I pricked the top of each pastry with a fork.  My daughter suggested it would have been a good idea to use different designs on each flavor, so you could tell the flavors apart once they were baked.  That would have been clever, but the suggestion came too late.  As it was, we were just pleasantly surprised when we bit into each one.
I brushed the tops of the pastry with the egg wash,
and lined them up on the baking sheet.  The recipe yielded 6 strudels, but I couldn't see going to this much work for 6 strudels!   I doubled the recipe so I would have 12, and actually ended up with 14.  The extras were no problem!
I loved the way they puffed up as they baked.  I sprinkled powder sugar on half of them.  Aren't they pretty?  I knew my hubby would like them this way, as he's not much on frosting, but big on pastry!

Kenzie suggested frosting on the rest, with sprinkles.  I nixed the sprinkles idea, but the frosting was a nice addition!  I like frosting.
Recipe number two was a success.  What will I try next?  I think it will be the cheese crackers.  I'll let you know how they turn out.  Anyone else out there trying some new recipes?

1 comment:

  1. You should make the cheese crackers next Thursday morning.... just saying :)

    ReplyDelete