Thursday, September 19, 2013

Summer Reading - Part Two

If I didn't lose you yesterday with that tall stack of reading material, I'm glad you've returned for part two.  Don't worry, there isn't a part three!  In working on these posts, I've found it's almost as much fun to go back and think about each book as it was to read them.  Sharing my thoughts is like having a one sided book discussion.  When someone comments and I can respond, it's like having an online book club.  Facebook seems to work well for that.  I've enjoyed our conversations. Thanks for indulging me!  All titles are linked to Amazon, just in case you want to read more about them or make a purchase. 
Now, to finish this up- once more, from bottom to top:

*For Times of Trouble-  Another "spiritual book", this time by Elder Holland.   Who has ever listened to Elder Holland give a talk and not loved it?  He's just the best!  This book is filled with his thoughts on selected Psalms and the artwork is absolutely beautiful.  This is one that I'm sure I'll pull from the bookshelf again and again. 

*Living a Covenant Marriage - Encouragement and great counsel for those desiring to have a marriage last forever.  Even though I've had this book for years, I'd only skimmed over it's contents.  One thing I've been trying to do is work a book I already have in my personal library into my reading rotation.  My husband recently asked me if I was really going to reread all these books that I have stashed throughout my house.  Truthfully, I haven't done much of that, because I'm always wanting to read something new.  But if a book is worthy of taking up precious space in my house, it really should be one that passes that test.  As I reread books, I ask myself, "Do I love this book more than I did the first time I read it?"  If the answer is yes, it stays.  If not, I probably won't ever read it again and I need to make room for better selections, so out it goes.  I think it's a good plan.  This book is a keeper.  Written by a number of experts on marriage, each chapter is worthy of serious study.  How's this for good doctrine?
" A person needs to look within himself or herself first and make sure his or her heart is right with God before attempting to change a spouse.  Pride on the part of one or both marital partners is a major contributor to unresolved differences, primarily because individuals who are selfish or proud will not repent or make changes that could improve the relationship.  Humility, repentance, and a willingness to apologize are indicators of genuine discipleship and charity and are an essential ingredient to achieving a truly Christlike relationship.   Perhaps the greatest charity comes when we are kind to each other, when we don't judge or categorize someone else, when we simply give each other the benefit of the doubt or remain quiet.  Charity is accepting someone's differences, weaknesses, and shortcomings; having patience with someone who has let us down; or resisting the impulse to become offended when someone doesn't handle something the way we might have hoped.  Charity is refusing to take advantage of another's weakness and being willing to forgive someone who has hurt us.  Charity is expecting the best of each other."
After thirty two years of marriage, my husband and I, don't have this thing totally figured out.  Marriage can be hard sometimes, and that's all there is to it.  It takes constant work. 

*$aved- The subtitle reads, "How I Quit Worrying About Money and Became the Richest Guy in the World."  This was an unusual read.  I don't even know where I came across this book, but it sure gave me some things to think about.  The author answers questions such as: How does money really work?  How does the financial industry literally create money out of thin air?  How can a bankrupt society move forward?  How can people live below their means and find happiness and contentment, while living in a consumer and debt driven society?   And the one question that I thought was the most interesting and worthy of real contemplation- 
How many people take the time to consider if any particular purchase is worth not just the money, but the portion of their life represented by the money?  I agree with many of the principles in this book, even if I did get a little bogged down with the Economics 101 chapter.  I could tell he was really trying to explain a confusing subject in as gentle a way as possible, but my eyes start to glaze over when listening to people talk about the Federal Reserve and GDP growth.  It's just not my thing.

*The Road to Assisi- After listening to Michael Wilcox speak on St. Francis of Assisi at Education Week, I decided I wanted to learn more about this famous Christian.  According to Brother Wilcox, St. Francis is one of those 10 Great Souls he wants to meet in Heaven.  This essential biography was informative and interesting.  Francis loved the Lord and wanted more than anything to live as Jesus taught his disciples.  Walking away from his family wealth and taking on a vow of poverty, He never intended to found a religious movement, but he did.  After learning more about him, I understand why he was and continues to be beloved by disciples of Christ.  

*The Sandburg Treasury- This book included Rootabaga Stories, Prairie Town Boy( an autobiography of Sandburg's early years), Wind Song and Early Moon (an anthology of Sandburg's poetry) and Abe Lincoln Grows Up.  I love "kid lit" and usually read it while I work out on the treadmill.  Because I live near the Carl Sandburg Home and it's one of my favorite places to while away the day, I'm inspired to become more familiar with his writing.
I enjoyed reading about his childhood years, growing up in Illinois and how life on the prairie influenced his writing, especially his poetry.  
Carl loved telling stories and believed American children should have some suited to their ideals and surroundings.  Rootabaga Stories are about simple people and common objects.  They are completely nonsensical and the quicker you figure that out the easier it becomes to give yourself up to spending time in Rootabaga Country.  Having seen some of these stories acted out in the summer playhouse, I enjoyed reading the complete collection.  Although, some of them are just plain weird.  My personal favorite is The Wedding Procession of the Rag Doll and the Broom Handle and Who Was In It.
*Katherine Paterson Treasury included  Bridge to Terabithia, The Great Gilly Hopkins and  Jacob Have I Loved.  I couldn't pick my favorite from these, but since they were all contained in one volume, I'll just say this was my favorite "kid lit" selection of the summer.  I know I'd seen the movie form of a least one of the these, but it does not do the story justice.  I loved these books and really, everyone should read them.  Because they deal with real life, coming of age issues, that we can all learn from or relate to in some way.  Delightful characters, delightful books.

* Rascal- Making a Difference By Becoming An Original Character  This was a nonfiction selection about great achievers and what makes them willing to step out of line and pursue their dreams, not necessarily conforming to mainstream behavior.
"Rascals are known by what they do. Their unique character produces fruit different from that of the vast majority of people. They are unique, but not for the sake of uniqueness. They don't conform, but not for the sake of nonconformity. They are rebellious, but not for the sake of rebellion.  They sometimes become famous and receive recognition, but not for the sake of fame or accolades.  Rather, they seem to respond to the calling of an inner voice; one that stands for principle and justice.  They commit to their beliefs. They may sacrifice their peace and affluence, their lives and fortunes, but never their sacred honor.  Rascals embolden those around them and attract others who aspire to such heights of courage and character"
This quote worthy book was full of ideas that made me think about qualities and characteristics common among great people.  A good mentoring book.

*To Try Men's Souls is a historical fiction (love these!), taking place in a crucial point in American history.  George Washington, Thomas Paine and others come to life as these patriots fight for independence.  I was so into the characters, I could feel the pain of the winter winds cutting through them as they prepared to cross the Delaware.  I could sense the despair among the soldiers, who were cold and hungry and just wanted to be home with their families.  And the courage... wow, the courage that these people possessed.  It was a great book and after hearing the author, William Forstchen speak (think One Second After, you know the book that scared the crap out of you- yeah, that William Forstchen), I knew I wanted to read this book.  He's also written fictional books on Gettysburg, Pearl Harbor and other periods in history.   I'm going to have to check those out too.

* A Tree Full of Angels This is the second book I've read by this author.  My first introduction was with Seven Sacred Pauses, a book I keep close by, so I can pick it up and read from it whenever I feel the desire to strengthen my ability to pray with real meaning.  Written by a Catholic who is a member of a monastic community, I love her thoughts on spiritual awakening.  A Tree Full of Angels is more of the same.  A little booklet with lots of inspiration.  I've underlined, not just sentences, but paragraphs of wise words by this author.  Whenever I read spiritual books by authors not of my faith, I know there will be things I won't agree with from a doctrinal standpoint.  But I've found when I am searching for truth, I can find it all around me.  This book is an example of practices that can bring us closer to God.  I pick and choose the ones that speak to me.

Thanks for sticking with me through these last two posts.  Reading is one of my passions, so books seem to be a part of many of my discussions.  One of the things I love about this season of life, is that I have time to read.  So, my bookish friends,  I'd love to hear what you've been reading.  Do you have a book that's really impacted you in a positive way?  A favorite from your summer reading?  Please share!   

2 comments:

  1. I love reading too. And am always reading a lot of books. My favorite fiction book in the last year, one that has been loved & talked about by every single person I've recommended it to, is called "What Alice Forgot." The author is from Australia or NZ and so there are a few F words in it, but other than that nothing objectionable. I am reading mostly non-fiction now--the one I'm reading currently is fabulous and called "Positivity." I'm really excited to try some of the ideas in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of these really do sound interesting. I've been reading neuro-psychology books and a book about the American health care system.

    ReplyDelete