Monday, September 9, 2013

Late Summer : Daybook Entry


Outside my window: Late afternoon sun shining through green trees.  An assortment of objects that have been "retrieved" by the dogs are scattered over the front yard.

I am wearing: Cropped khakis with paisley pattern top.  Lace up shoes - doctor's orders.  I'm putting real effort into trying to to heal the tendonitis in my achilles tendon.  After dealing with it for over a year, I finally went to the doctor.  One look at the "cute" sandals I was wearing and he said, "We need to talk shoes."  So now, I'm stretching and icing and wearing better shoes (most of the time).

I am listening to: The hum of the washer and dryer and the fan running very loudly on my computer.  Another thing I've been putting off- buying a new laptop.  But I think the time has finally come.  I would be more excited if they didn't cost so much.  Big investments are hard to make.

I am thankful for: Cooler days, loaded apple trees, a new light in my family room, time spent with family and good friends and a wedding for the future.  Autumn is definitely just around the corner and I am so ready for all that means.  Sweaters, fall colors, pumpkins and apples, walking in the woods and sitting by the fireplace.  

Around the house: We've been working on some home improvement projects, mainly lighting.  We have a new chandelier in the bedroom and family room.  New lights in the kitchen (even though a recent thunderstorm just blew out three of our track lights!), outside lighting on the driveway and in the carriage house.  The  chandeliers are the most exciting, because Mark found them stored under a stairwell in an antique store, bought them for a killer price, brought them home and painted them. They turned out beautifully.  I just wish I had a before and after picture.  This is what it looks like now.
 In the garden: I am So. Over. The. Garden.  Tired of weeding and fighting the diseases and the pests.  It was not a good year for many things (like tomatoes and squash), yet we were blessed with plenty of beans, okra, onions, garlic, beets and peppers.  Because of my garden fatigue, I'm taking a break from fall planting, with the exception of garlic.  I know I will probably regret it, but I just can't muster the strength right now.  I still have sweet potatoes to harvest and I'm excited about that.  I planted a lot of plants, so I'm hoping for a good yield.  Last year was my first time to grow  Beauregard sweet potatoes and we loved them!  Ate them all winter long.  
I'm not a fan of: sleepless nights.  My body and spirit love early mornings and those nights when I just can't fall asleep on time, really mess up my morning schedule

I am loving: New music from Old North State.  It's good stuff, and they're heading to NJ to record in a few days.  Can't wait to hear the new CD. 

I am hoping for: some way to carve out time for a vacation with my husband.  Owning a small business isn't always what it's cracked up to be.  We are grateful for work, but I'd be grateful for a vacation.  Hoping that will happen soon.

I am reading:  "A Whole New Mind"by Daniel Pink. Very interesting reading about Right Brainers and their influence on the future.   "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott is my treadmill reading these days.  I just love this book.  I don't really want to hurry though it, but when I finish I will watch the movie again (the one with Wynona Rider).  "Ten Great Souls I Want to Meet in Heaven" by Michael Wilcox.  What can I say?  It's Michael Wilcox and I love everything he writes!  And "Cooked" by Michael Pollan.  I really like this author too, but this book is a little different from his others.  I'm just getting started with it, but so far, I'm intrigued.  I'm going to be doing a post soon about favorites from my summer reading.

I am creating: Still knitting dishcloths.  I know, I know. It's time to move on.   But I had some birthday presents to make.  My next project, which I hope to start soon will be a hat- my first hat.  I also have fabric for sewing a skirt, but I need to get a pattern.   Usually one chooses a pattern and then the fabric, but it's too complicated to explain.  Anyway, this makes me nervous, so I'm dragging my feet.

I am learning: How to take better pictures.  I finally did it.  I signed up to take a class at the college.  Even though it's terrifying when your photos are projected on a screen in front of the class, I'm learning so much!  Now it remains to be seen how my pictures will improve, but after three weeks, I'm looking at my photography completely different.  And I've been playing with dials and buttons on my camera and moving off of automatic. Aren't you proud? Because I am!

From the kitchen: Well, I'm having lots of fun trying out recipes for my cookbook project.  The pastry crust is perfect.  I will never look for another pastry recipe, because this one works so well and tastes so amazing!  The toaster strudels were yummy.  The cheese crackers had a nice taste, but didn't turn out as I had hoped.  I'm going to give those another try and then I will be ready to attempt the lasagna, making my own mozzerella, pasta and sauce.  This one has me pretty excited.  I also made blueberry scones while my sister was here for a visit.   She loves them!   It's that time of year to make apple butter and I'm ready. Nothing smells as good as apple butter thickening in the crock pot.

I am pondering:  "Sometimes doing the most important thing eternally, doesn't look like you're doing anything noticeably."    Ann Voskamp             
 Ann's writing always makes me think deeply.

Living my faith: I finished my yearly reading of  The Book of Mormon.  Early this year....   I'm not quite sure what I'm ready to dig into next. I'm thinking, a study of the book of Revelation (how's that for some light reading?).    I gave a talk this past Sunday in Sacrament meeting.  That's always a little scary, but it helps when you have smiling faces and people who love you in the congregation.  I attended a wonderful Women's Conference this weekend and am working on a Primary Leadership Training meeting coming up in October.  But I'm most excited about Time Out for Women in a few weeks.  I'll be going with three friends to Columbia for a weekend of fun, laughter and sweet fellowship.  It will be a spiritual feast as we'll be taught by amazing speakers.  Oh, and General Conference is coming up too!

A few plans for the rest of the week: Tomorrow I'll join our little Book of Mormon reading group at church, which is turning out to be a great experience.  I have my photography class on Wednesday and the fair is in town.  I hope to go and walk through the exhibits, see the animals and eat some horribly, bad for you, fair food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment