Tuesday, July 15, 2014

This Week in the Garden- July 15

Oh, looky!  I have acorn squash.  I haven't had great success 
with winter squash in the past, so this makes me happy.
Jalapeños.  Sure wish I had peppers and tomatoes ready, so I could make salsa with these.  I've not quite figured out how to time my planting so that I have all the things I need at the right time.  
I pulled half of the beets and have been enjoying 
them in recipes.  The next harvest will be for canning.
Tomatoes = Love
 It appears someone else feels the same way.  The war is on.  Mark helped me wrap the tomatoes loosely in bird netting and hopefully that will discourage some of this.  I don't mind sharing a little of my goodies with the animals, but I'm not so generous with my tomatoes.
If you look really closely in the middle of all those weeds and grasses, you'll see a sweet potato plant!  What a wonderful surprise to find that some of my sweet potato plants survived after all.  Remember when I planted those baby plants and something came and ate them?  Twice.  I finally gave up and turned my attention elsewhere.   This week I will be reclaiming my sweet potatoes from the grass that's grown up all around them.  It's not going to be fun, but I keep thinking about how good those potatoes are going to be this fall.  It'll be worth the time invested.  She who plants, weeds, picks bugs and sweats in her garden, enjoys food the most.
I had a great little helper when I dug potatoes this week.
I was especially happy with the yield from my fingerlings.
The garlic has all been harvested and these soft neck heads are drying in preparation for braiding.  I will use this all winter and until next years harvest. I use a lot of garlic! 

No comments:

Post a Comment