Saturday, April 2, 2016

This Week in the Garden - Pulling weeds, Cleaning out Beds and Planting Potatoes

Yay!  It's spring and I'm eagerly spending time out doors.  I have so much to do to get ready for gardening, that I could feel overwhelmed if I weren't so happy to just be outside!  I'm pacing myself though, working at it each day, and I've made some progress this week.  I've been weeding and getting the raised beds ready.
I had some company.
The asparagus is coming up.  Oh my!
A week or so ago, I cut the seed potatoes and got them ready for planting.  We'll have yukon golds, kennebec, and pontiac reds.
According to the farmer's almanac, this was a good week to plant food that grows under the ground.  This is the first time I've followed the moon cycles for planting and I'm anxious to see if it will make any difference.  I planted two rows of onions (one red and one yellow) and twelve rows of potatoes.  We had a nice steady rain a few days later that surely made my little spuds happy.
The rhubarb is coming up nicely.
Dad Wray helped me clean out the strawberry bed.
I had the grape vines pulled up and planted more raspberries in their place.  The grapes didn't produce well and I like raspberries so much better.  The blueberry bushes are covered with little buds and I need to do a lot of, you guessed it, weeding around them too.
We've had a problem with moles all around the garden area and I'm nervous about them eating my food.  We're trying these sonic spikes by Sweeney's, which are supposed to drive them away.  They come highly recommended, so I hope they work! 
Thanks to my sweet husband for helping prune back and replant some of the berries.  I hope we have a great crop this year. 

* Take the time goal #52- Grow lots of wonderful veggies in the garden.   

No comments:

Post a Comment