Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Starting My Second Gratitude Journal

Three years ago, I decided to start counting blessings.  Inspired by Ann and her book,  I bought this little journal in which to name them one by one.
In December of  2013, I jotted down # 3815 on the last page and closed the book.  I'm pretty excited that I actually completed this journal, all the way to the end!   I have a bad habit of starting journals and then getting bored with them before I finish.  But not this time.  This exercise of counting blessings has become a way of life for me, a good habit.
At the beginning of this year, I started writing in my second gratitude journal.  I've decided to start over with #1 and keep counting until I come to the last page.  A line or two a day is all it takes. And even though I like to set the goal of counting 1000 blessings, the number isn't what's important.  It just reminds me of how numerous my blessings really are.  There's something wonderful that happens when you make the time to record the things for which you're grateful.  Little things, big things, and everything in between are gifts and when you stop to write those down you begin to realize how much you are loved by God, who is the giver of all good gifts.  This is what has happened for me.  Even with the wonderful life that I have, I find that I often battle
discontent, and my gratitude journal is the best tool I've found for fighting against that.        
Keeping this journal has been like being on a never ending treasure hunt.
I feel as though I'm more observant of everything around me.  I take the time to notice the beauties of nature, something I didn't do so well before - always too busy!  Counting blessings slows me down and I like that.  It opens up my tunnel vision.   I'm paying more attention to people and relationships and appreciating even the smallest encounters.
I am reminded that even on the worst of days, life is still very good.  That's what my gratitude journal teaches me.  I'm thankful for that lesson!
 A Few of December's Blessings
- scooting around town in a new car that perfectly meets my needs
-a tearful conversation with a friend who "gets me"
- a completed project
- the smell of bacon sizzling in a pan
- making carrot cake and remembering my mom
- Christmas visiting
- cut out cookies and sprinkles
-reading Christmas stories
- the Holy Family carved in wood
- watching Jantzen climb the tree to get mistletoe for his mom
- the scent of pine
- lovingly unpacking each ornament, along with sweet memories
- gifts of warmth from Mark
- Christmas jammies
- watching the Nutcracker with Kenzie
- a clean house and clean dogs, on the same day!
- observing Advent and lighting candles
- a box of "cherry goodness" from a far away friend
- watching my Amaryllis grow
- going to the movies with friends
- hanging the stockings
-Christmas brunch with the kids
- primary children kneeling in front of a manger
-  new insights from Luke 2
- Christmas greetings pulled from the mailbox
- visits by the fireplace with people I love
- my annual gift of a Snowbaby ornament, in Micah's memory


"When it comes to life, the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude." G.K. Chesterton

4 comments:

  1. So I have really struggled to make this a habit. How many do you do every day? When you list them in a blog post like this I just assume these are from only 2 or 3 days, and that you are writing down so many things all of the time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, I try to write down a few things everyday. But some days I forget or don't take the time. It's ok. Just pick up where you left off.

      Delete
    2. And do you write them all down in your journal? Or in various places? Do you often take a pic to go with what you've written down??

      Delete
    3. I keep my journal on my desk where I can see it and am prompted to write. But if I think of something when I'm away from home, I'll put it on my phone, jot it down in my planner or on the church bulletin. Whatever is close at hand and then I'll rewrite it into my journal later. The monthly blog post helps me to make sure I get everything down in the journal, eventually. I also keep my camera out and ready. I take lots of pictures and when I'm doing the gratitude journal post, I just go back through my pictures and use some of the ones that illustrate the blessing I've listed. I don't usually plan it out in advance. That would be too much work!

      Delete