Friday, January 31, 2014

Kale Chips, I Like 'em

Have you ever tried kale chips?  Have you ever wanted to?  I know they sound a little strange and if you're not a fan of leafy green vegetables, they might sound disgusting.  But I'm here to tell you they are good!  I'd seen recipes for them on Pinterest and other sites and had been planning to give them a try, but just kept putting it off.  Last weekend, when I was on Phase 3 of this diet, those wonderful three days when you can have plenty of healthy fats, I decided to give it a shot.  That, and I had some kale in the fridge that needed to be used and I didn't think I could handle it sautéed, again.  
I feel a little silly sharing this recipe, because it's so easy, I could just tell you how to do it in one sentence.  But pictures are nice, don't you think?  I washed my kale and tore it into small pieces, not too small though, because it shrinks when it bakes.  I spread it out on paper towels and let it dry completely. 
I put a couple of glugs (that would be maybe a T. or more) of olive oil in a plastic ziplock bag.  I don't measure very often.  I have some fantastic lemon infused olive oil that a friend gave me for my birthday last year, that I've been rationing, and decided this would be a good time to use a little.  It turned out to be a good call.   I put some sea salt in the bag, along with the oil and kale, and shook, shook, shook  until the kale was coated with the mixture. 
I spread the kale onto a couple of cookie sheets and baked it in a 300 degree oven for about fifteen to twenty minutes.  Watch closely towards the end, so they don't brown.  You want the kale to stay a nice green color.   Browned chips will taste burnt and that is not good!  I know, because I tried some.  Let them cool and your ready to munch.  Potato chips, they're not, but for a healthy, crunchy snack that won't elevate the blood sugar, they're pretty darn good. One word of advice.  Check your teeth before you smile at anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment