Thursday, January 2, 2014

My Word For The New Year

I've discovered that I like to choose a word for the new year, a word that helps me organize my thoughts and goals around an important theme.  You can read about some of my other "words" here.  This year my word is FAMILY.  

When I think of things I hope to accomplish in the next twelve months, spending time with family and making memories are top of my list.  Time flies by and it takes real effort and planning to slow down long enough to be with the ones who matter most.  I don't want to come to the end of 2014 with regrets concerning how I've spent my time.  I hope to be intentional with my plans and create opportunities to make some wonderful memories.  As I've thought about FAMILY, lot's of other words have come to mind and I've created a word cloud from them.  Have you ever done this?  I made mine here.  It was a lot of fun.


My word for 2014 will include goals for myself in regards to my immediate family, my extended family and my church family.  I hope to work on strengthening my marriage and my relationship with my adult children. These people are my priority and I want my choices to reflect that.  I plan to enjoy more time with my extended family.  I'm ready for some road trips and hopefully a visit to Utah this summer.  I look forward to learning and growing with my friends, encouraging each other as we walk the gospel path.  

My plan is to set some goals each month that will help me stay focused on  FAMILY.  I'm excited about this, even though I know some goals will be easier than others.  Relationships can be tricky and in choosing this word, I realize that success will lie in my attempts to improve.  After all, I can only change myself.  But I hope we might all benefit.  

The scriptures that I've chosen to support my word come from the New Testament and will help me as I memorize them this year.

" A new commandment I give unto you, that you love one another as I have loved you..."
John 13:34

"  Be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. " 
 1 Timothy 4:12

"And let us not be weary in well doing:... as we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith."
Galations 6: 9-10

Life is busy and often monotonous, but this year, I want to step out of the ordinary and enjoy precious time with FAMILY.   I look forward to the moments (small and large) that can make a difference in my relationships.  I want to laugh, play, explore, celebrate, rediscover and most of all love "my family" and I'm praying for God's grace and his blessings on my efforts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment