Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Celebrating Family and Spring Garden Delights

   The kitchen is my favorite hangout.  It's where my creative juices flow best and where I gather others around me and share love.    I like to keep my camera close at hand so I can snap a shot to capture that moment, the one when the recipe works or doesn't, when I've just brought in fresh produce from the garden, or the counter is in a state of chaos because there's something wonderful cooling in the background.  These things make my heart sing.  I believe good, real food is a gift from God and is meant to be enjoyed and celebrated.   This month's photo collection shows how we've celebrated a birthday, Mother's Day and wonderful things from my spring garden. 

Offerings from a May Kitchen
   Jantzen's Birthday cake- German Chocolate, the often requested family favorite
Asparagus growing in the garden.
The first thing I make with my asparagus is an omelet with fresh eggs and parmesan cheese.
At least once during asparagus season, I make this wonderful appetizer with roasted asparagus wrapped in buttery prosciutto.  Oh man, is it good.   We had it for my Mother's Day lunch.
Quiche made with asparagus, fresh dill and parmesan cheese.
Kale from the garden, chopped and added to this farro salad
Chocolate chip cookies for Mother's Day gifts.
I planned and cooked my own Mother's Day lunch, because I knew exactly what I wanted and was  happy to make it.  Having some of my children here to enjoy this huge dish of lasagna and then clean up afterwards was a wonderful gift.  
Then we had homemade strawberry ice-cream made in my new machine.  Yum!
Monday is baking day.
This avocado toast made with my wheat bread is divine.
Oh, how I love strawberry season!  
Strawberry Crepes
Strawberry Rhubarb jam
Strawberry Rhubarb muffins
Pizza night with fresh basil, tomato sauce and mozzarella.  Pizza margherita!
A tasty and healthy way to use my kale.  Thanks to Sandy for the recipe.
"Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; 
all these are to be used with prudence and thanksgiving."   
Doctrine and Covenants 89:11 

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...I haven't been massaging my kale.... I should be better about that. ��

    ReplyDelete