Friday, June 6, 2014

Summer Reading Bingo



When I was a child I loved the reading programs at the library.  One of my sweetest memories is spending time with my grandmother during the summer and having her take me to the local library and sign me up.  I would take home as many books as I could carry, and then curl up on the bed in the "front bedroom" and read.   Of course there were cheap prizes involved with reading a certain number of books, but I don't remember any of those.  She was probably just trying to find things to keep me busy, but I think my love of reading may have begun that summer in that little library in Elkin.  I've been in much larger libraries since, but I can still easily evoke the feelings of being in that particular one.  For starters, it was situated beside a waterfall with large windows for viewing, so when you got tired of picking out books, you could sit by the windows and look out over the water.  How cool is that?  

I still love libraries and feel a sense of awe and almost reverence when I walk in the door.  They are special places.  And even though I'm very grown up, I still get excited about summer reading.  One of the podcasts I enjoy listening to is Books on the Nightstand and they are doing a summer reading bingo game.  Sign me up!  All I had to do is go to the website and click the link for the bingo game.  A different board comes up each time you refresh.  I wanted to play fairly, so I closed my eyes and went with the third click and this is the board I came up with.  The printing isn't perfect, but you can get the idea.

 I just have to decide which direction I'm trying to complete my Bingo and start reading.  I'm going to use the free square as an opportunity to watch a movie that's based on a book.  

 Here's another card, so you can see other possible categories.

Now, don't you want to play with me?  Come on, it'll be fun!  Just go to this link and get your board,


then pick out a book and start reading.  We have until Labor Day to try and get Bingo and yes, there will be prizes involved for all who participate.  Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I have a booklist with about 200 books on it I'm wading through. Otherwise, would be fun!

    ReplyDelete