Thursday, December 11, 2014

Better Than Take Out

Ready for a tasty Chinese style dinner, without having to call for take out?  This is it.  I stumbled upon this recipe a few years ago and it has become one of our favorites.  It comes together quickly, especially if you have some rice tucked in the freezer.   We like brown rice, but the longer cooking time can sometimes be a problem, if you're in a hurry to get dinner on the table.   I've found that it freezes beautifully, so whenever I cook rice, I always make extra to put in the freezer.  A side dish of steamed broccoli is a must for me.  I love how it pairs with the sweetness of the chicken.

Start with boneless chicken breast.  I use one whole breast and pound it to equal thickness.  This serves two generously, but you would want to use more chicken for a larger family.  Cut the chicken into bite size pieces.
Drop the chicken pieces into a bowl with corn starch.
Carefully toss the chicken until the pieces are completely covered.
Heat a skillet with olive oil and add the chicken pieces to the pan.
Cook until chicken is lightly browned on all sides.
While the chicken is browning, mix up a simple sauce of pineapple juice, honey, soy sauce and fresh ginger.
I peel my ginger root with a vegetable peeler,
and grate it with my microplane zester.  This is one of the best kitchen tools I own.  It's perfect for zesting fruit, grating nutmeg, hard cheeses and for ginger.  I LOVE my microplane zester.
I use less ginger than the recipe calls for, because ginger can be intense.  Don't be tempted to leave it out though, as it is an essential part of the recipe.  I guess you could use powdered ginger, in a pinch,  but it will be better if you use fresh.  Leftover ginger can be peeled and stored in the freezer for the next time you need it.  

Cut up a couple of green onions and have some sesame seeds handy.
Once the chicken is browned, pour the sauce into the pan.  The corn starch will cause the sauce to become nice and thick.  Within a couple of minutes it will be ready.  Add the green onions and sesame seeds.  The recipe calls for toasting your sesame seeds, but I omit this step and it's still delicious.  
Enjoy.  It really is better than take out.
Sesame Chicken
2 lb. boneless chicken breast
2 T. cornstarch
1 T. olive oil
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup honey 
3 T. soy sauce
1 T. grated fresh ginger
2 green onions, chopped
cooked rice

Cut chicken into pieces.  Combine chicken and cornstarch.  Toss
to coat.  Heat oil in skillet.  Cook chicken until browned and cooked 
through.  Reduce heat and stir in pineapple juice and next 3 ingredients.
Bring to boil and cook until thickened.  Remove from heat and sprinkle
green onion and sesame seeds.  Serve over rice.


* If using more chicken, double the ingredients for the sauce.  You want enough
to generously cover the chicken and a little extra for spooning over the rice.

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious, and much better than the nasty overly sweet bottled sauce that Russ usually buys! I'm totally going to have him try this...

    ReplyDelete