Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Molasses Sugar Cookies

Last Christmas, a friend of mine gave me some molasses cookies.  Soft and chewy, full of spices, oh my gosh, they were so delicious!  Competing against all the cookie recipes out there, I know they don't sound all that exciting.  In fact, an old fashioned molasses cookie is kind of humble, made from ordinary ingredients that you probably have in your cabinet.  Don't let this deceive you.  I'm going to share the recipe with you today, because trust me, you want to make these cookies!  They taste and smell like Christmas.  

I've included a picture of the recipe card Janet gave me, because I love it.  It's old fashioned, like the cookie.  With all the technology available to us, few people write recipes on cards anymore.  Most recipes are sent to me by email, Facebook or text messages.  I miss all those cute recipe cards, written  by hand.  Just like letters received in the mail, I think we're losing a piece of history, when we type
everything out on the computer.

Now for that recipe.  The first thing you need to do is measure out the shortening and melt it in a small saucepan.  I know that's a lot of shortening, but this is what makes the cookie soft.  Just do it and don't think too much about it.  Let the melted shortening cool.
Put the shortening in a mixing bowl and add the molasses.
To this, add eggs and sugar.  Mix well.
Next, add spices, salt , baking soda
and flour.
It will come together as a soft dough.  Put the bowl in the refrigerator and go do something else.
After an hour and a half, or so, you're ready to make the cookies.  I use a scoop to measure out the dough, because I like my cookies to all be about the same size.  Don't judge. I'm just weird that way.  Then I roll them into little balls.
Each ball gets rolled around in sugar.
I take a little glass and gently smash the tops.
Bake for 8-10 minutes.  I lean towards the lesser time, because I want them chewy!!!

Molasses Sugar Cookies
1 1/2 cup shortening
2/3 cup molasses
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 - 1 t. ground cloves
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. vanilla extract
1 t. salt
1 T. and 1 t. baking soda
4 cups unbleached plain flour
extra sugar for rolling

Melt the shortening over low heat, then cool.  Add molasses, sugar
and eggs.  Beat well.  Mix in the cloves, cinnamon, salt, baking soda
and vanilla.  Mix in the flour.  Chill for an hour and a half.  Dough
will not be really firm.  Roll the dough into 1 inch balls.  Roll balls
in sugar.  Gently press the tops of the balls.  Bake at 350 degrees for
8 - 10 minutes.  Let cool for a couple of minutes before removing from
baking pan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment