Sunday, December 7, 2014

Tucking Away Hope.. and Waiting

Each fall I buy bulbs to plant, envisioning lots of daffodils and tulips abloom the next spring, and then October and November come and go, while my bags of bulbs sit untouched.  I attribute my procrastination to the fact that I'm worn out from summer gardening.  It really doesn't take very long to plant bulbs.  I know this, and once I finally have them in the ground, I wonder why I have put off the task.
Well, this year I've followed my same pattern and it's the first week of December.  My bulbs were still sitting in the garage.  We've had a couple of beautiful, sunny, warm days and feeling a little rested from my garden chores, I actually had the desire to get outside and work in the dirt. There are some real advantages to living in the south.  I feel fairly certain that I would never have flowers in the spring if I lived further north.   I had good company as I worked.
It occurred to me while I was tucking those bulbs in the ground that maybe it's ok that I procrastinated after all, because this is the perfect Advent activity. Preparing, nurturing and waiting expectantly with hope are the steps for planting fall bulbs.  A lovely and intentional Advent involves the same things.   I've been preparing for this season by unpacking the Advent wreath with it's candles of purple, pink and white.  I've pulled my favorite reading material from the bookshelves.  I've clicked over to my Advent file on iTunes and have been listening to sacred music.  I've labored over the squares on my calendar, trying to decide which activities will help me "stay in the Christmas story".  Lots of preparing.
Each year I pray that Christmas will be different for me and those I love.  I pull ever so gently back from the frantic pace that seems to be the norm and try to move more intentionally through this wonderful season.  How can I nurture the feelings of good will to everyone that I feel right now?  Who needs a visit?  Who would benefit from an unexpected gift?  Who needs a phone call or card?  Who needs a hug or a plate of cookies, or both?  Who needs to be reminded that God loves them?  I have to remember as I seek to serve others, that taking care of myself is important too.  A walk through the woods, sitting quietly with a cup of cocoa, writing notes to friends, knitting by the fire, baking festive foods. These are the things that nurture my spirit and slow me down.
This first week of Advent has been full of beautiful and happy moments.  I delivered Advent calendars to some children I love, watching their eyes light up as I explained the process of reading a scripture each day and doing an activity to think about Jesus.  I've filled our house with the smell of spices, while baking tons of molasses cookies for sharing ( I exaggerate only slightly.), I spent a morning worshipping in the temple and some time visiting friends who were ill. I attended a concert where I heard Bach's Christmas oratorio performed, complete with harpsichord!  I listened to a book (thumbs up for Audible) about Saint Nicholas, planned some surprise gifting in his honor, and I planted fall bulbs.

The only decoration that I have pulled out so far, is my Advent wreath.  I've enjoyed looking at it every day and pondering.  Next week, I will add to this, perhaps unpacking fewer items than I have in Christmas' past.  Each year, it seems I need to do a little less.  Slowing down, enjoying the process and not just the end results, and pacing myself, are what I love most about observing Advent.  Baking, decorating, gift giving and celebrating doesn't have to be done in a hurried and rushed way, trying to quickly move to the next thing on the "to do" list.  I'm slowly learning this.  Real progress for this type A, sometimes overzealous girl.
Hopeful and expectant waiting, this is Advent.  A celebration that isn't just for remembering the Savior's birth, but also for celebrating his presence in my life now, while also looking forward to His glorious return.  This kind of waiting isn't passive.  It's actively engaging in the best that this season has to offer, while gently declining those things that pull me away from the true meaning of Christmas.

It's amazing the things you think about while on your knees, digging in the dirt, tucking away hope.

"Jesus stands at the door knocking.  In total reality, he comes in the form of the beggar,
of the dissolute human child in ragged clothes, asking for help.  He confronts you in
every person that you meet.  As long as there are people, Christ will walk the earth as
your neighbor, as the one through whom God calls you, speaks to you, makes
demands on you. That is the great seriousness and great blessedness of the Advent
message.  Christ is standing at the door; he lives in the form of a human being
among us.  Do you want to close the door or open it?"
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

2 comments:

  1. Lovely. :) And I wish I was going to get some sunny days to plant my bulbs...but I'll be doing good to get non-rainy days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts. I've been kinda doing the same. Doing less can be so much more and I'm ok with it for the first time.

    ReplyDelete