Monday, February 2, 2015

Nothing is Worth More Than This Day

First Monday counting... 
                                    when I share entries from my Gratitude Journal


"Nothing is worth more than this day."
Goethe

Counting blessings.  I'm starting my fifth year of this discipline and it's been one of the best things I've ever undertaken.  Some months I'm more diligent than others, but whenever I count, and write it down, I am a happier person.  I've learned to slow down and to look more carefully, at simple beauty and gifts around me.   I've learned to be more content with life's circumstances.  I have become better at living "in the moment", enjoying this day and not worrying about yesterday's failures or the next thing on the calendar.  Tomorrow will come soon enough and being preoccupied with what's ahead robs me of enjoying what I've been given today.   I don't want to take anything, or anyone for granted.  I've looked back at my journals with amazement at the goodness that has been poured out, so liberally on my family.   Heavenly Father is very, very good.   So here I go again, starting with number 1, counting my blessings in 2015.
1-spending a quiet, slow morning with the man I love
2- eggnog french toast
3- black eye peas soaking in a  bowl
4- walking through the woods searching for running cedar
5- decorating Micah's place on his birthday
6- frozen puddles
7- hoppin' john
8- setting goals
9- staying home
10- new cookware
11- starting fresh
12- healthy food
13- new calendars, fresh with possibility
14- cupped hands around a warm mug
15- cracking nuts
16- family sing along to Counting Crows
17- repacking Christmas
18- brussels sprouts
19- roasted chicken for Sunday dinner
20- sitting fire side
21- a big, juicy navel orange
22- warm house on a cold morning
23- restoring order
24- clean floors
25- mashed sweet potatoes with raisins
26- an empty inbox
27- remembering and missing Lindsay on her birthday
28- date night by the fireplace with music and backgammon 
29- youtube videos to help with knitting
30-red fleshed grapefruit
31-down jacket
32- stacks of seed catalogues
33- crockpot meals
34- laughing at old pictures
35- three generations around the dinner table
36-looking through a cardboard telescope with a three year old
37- feeling promptings that lead to change
38- receiving counsel
39- deviled eggs
40- sore muscles
41- a fit bit cheer from across the country
42- fresh cut and color
43- warm running clothes
44-coconut milk
45- grocery cart full of veggies and fruit
46-cub scouts and race cars
47- Amaryllis blooms
48- rekindling memories of my Nana
49- Sam's shopping trip with Mark
50- ward conference
51- warmth from the sun
52-Girl Scout cookies for sharing
53-waking up rested before the alarm goes off
54-sixty-four degrees in January
55-a bubble bath
56-first glimpse of new life
57-vibrant green swiss chard
58- a warm day for working in the garden
59- pulling weeds with Jantzen
60-a new copy of The Book of Mormon, fresh for marking
61- morning conversations in bed
62- peppermint rooibus tea
63- lunch with Sandy
64- clothes, warm from the dryer
65- thank you notes from little friends
66-birthday cake face
67- banana slices with peanut butter and a cold glass of milk
68- making play dough snowmen
69- knitting by the fire
70- hearing Mom Wray speak in Sacrament meeting
71- sparkling clean  refrigerator
72- reuniting after a day apart
73- safe travels for Jessica and Abby
74- a hard working husband
75- phone call from Travis
76- meeting Lynette at the temple
77- wonderful friends that bless my life
78-  rolling out biscuit dough
79- rainy afternoon
80- lunch and a movie with my sweetie




1 comment: