Friday, January 30, 2015

Crafting Soap

Right before the holidays, I went to a fun Relief Society activity where I learned how to make soap.  Technically, it's re-making soap, because you start with a big block of unscented soap and then re-make it into something more exciting.  I hope, before the year is over, to learn how to make soap the old fashioned way.  Until then, I'm going to keep experimenting with this method.  This is so easy, it's almost embarrassing to create a step by step tutorial.  You'll see what I mean shortly.

Start by going to a Michaels or Hobby Lobby and visit the soap section, where you can choose from a variety of soaps.  I've tried the goat's milk and shea butter and like both of them.  You could also buy glycerin if you want clear soap.  I purchased the two pound packages, a soap mold and soap coloring.  I already had the essential oils that I wanted to use, but you can buy those there as well.  
My mold holds three pounds of soap, so I use one and a half packages.  Cut the soap into small squares.
Microwave for a minute or two and stir.  As the soap starts to melt, I microwave for thirty second intervals, stirring well between.  This is a pretty large bowl and it takes me about 5 minutes to completely melt the soap.
For Christmas presents I made pumpkin spice (with pumpkin pie spice from the grocery store) and peppermint.  Today I'm using some dried lavender that I've been saving.  I'm a big fan of lavender, so this might be my favorite.  
I scraped the lavender off the stems into a bowl.
My gosh.  It smells divine.
Then I added lavender essential oil.  I didn't count how many drops, I just kept shaking until it smelled the way I wanted it to smell. 
Next I added purple soap coloring.  I used this entire little bottle and the soap turned out with a touch of purple tint.  I would have added more if I'd had some.  Don't use regular food coloring, as it's too potent, unless you want to dye your skin! 
Be sure and stir gently, so as not to incorporate lots of air bubbles.  I added the lavender at the end and poured it into the mold.
You can use individual molds, but I like the look of cut soap and the fact that this makes 8-10 bars, depending on the size bar you want.
I let the soap sit for about five hours before removing the sides of the mold.
Cut into slices.  I love the way it looks and smells.  Hmmm.  I'm thinking this will make some nice Valentine's gifts, packaged in little linen bags with ribbon.  Yay for re-making soap!  I won't tell how easy it is, if you don't.
I picked up rosemary essential oil today.  Next up, rosemary mint! 

No comments:

Post a Comment