Thursday, January 22, 2015

Spring Teaser - Daybook Entry

Outside my window... Sunshine, glorious sunshine.  Day two of sixty degree plus weather.  Yesterday I sat on the front porch, propped up my feet, turned my head to the sky and closed my eyes.       I was like a cat soaking up the sun.  Today I felt more energetic and worked in the garden.  I had to keep reminding myself that even though it feels like spring, it's still January.  We are squarely in the middle of winter here.  In fact, the forecast is calling for snow later in the week.  That makes today's activities even more precious.

I am wearing... khakis, denim shirt and red cardigan.   This is outfit number three.  I started out in workout clothes this morning.  I had to change into old jeans and t shirt for gardening this afternoon. Good thing tomorrow is laundry day.

I'm listening to... the dryer tossing clothes and Paul McCartney and Wings playing in the background.  I feel like I'm in a time warp.  Jantzen's working here today and has been listening to all things Beatles related.
I'm thankful for... the beginning of a new year.  I love the end of year wrap ups, looking ahead, planning and setting goals.  I'm very geeky that way.  Starting fresh feels so good.  I have some
wonderful things to look forward to this year, one of which is welcoming my first grandchild.  I got my first glimpse yesterday when Becca texted pictures from the ultrasound.  New life is a miracle.

Around the house...  I've packed away Christmas and been trying to restore order.  I'm fighting that urge to organize something.   Does that come with the start of a new year too?   Organizing makes a mess and I've just got things cleaned up around here, on the surface anyway.   Maybe I'll tackle something small, like the coat closet.

In the garden...  I haven't stepped foot into the garden for a couple of months.  But today, Jantzen and I weeded and cleaned out the asparagus bed and pulled up the last of the fall plants from the raised beds.  Asparagus is the first thing I harvest in the spring and now that we've removed last years growth and pulled out the dead weeds,  it's ready to grow.   The garlic I planted in the fall is hanging out under a layer of straw, waiting for warmer weather.  I'm taking advantage of this time to rest from gardening duties and dream my way through the seed catalogues.
I'm loving...  my new cookware that Santa brought me for Christmas.  Every meal feels special when cooked in All-Clad.  Sounds like an advertisement, doesn't it?  I love the way my hands fit around the handles.  I'm trying like crazy to keep them looking brand spanking new with careful washing and hand drying.  No water spots on my stainless steel!

I'm reading...  The Agony and the Ectasy, a biographical novel about Michelangelo.  This is the start of some serious prep for my Italy trip, later in the fall.  I just finished Pure Before Thee  and it was excellent.  I think I'm going to turn right around and read it again.  It's short, but packed with so much information, that I feel as though one reading didn't do it justice.  I've never fully understood the difference between the doctrinal terms justification and sanctification as they relate to the atonement.  These words pop up in the scriptures often and now I'm beginning to understand them better.  I'm rereading Anne of Green Gables for a Relief Society book discussion this month.  Oh, how I love Anne Shirley.

I'm creating... a present for a new baby.  My knitting needles are clicking, clicking.

I'm learning... how to take better pictures.  Santa also brought me a photography course (what a guy!) and I'm taking one class a week.  The instructor with the Great Courses is a National Geographic photographer.  I'm three lessons into the course and have already learned so much.  I'm trying to figure out how to work the things I'm learning into a regular blog post series.  You might want to learn along with me.  This course is also prep work for my trip, because I want to capture those memories with amazing photos.
30 Day Challenge... I'm cleaning out my body from all the wonderful holiday indulgences with the Whole 30 eating plan.   Ten more days to go and I'm feeling pretty good.  No grains, sugar or dairy.  Lots of lean protein, veggies, healthy oils and some fruit.  Oh, and eggs.  Plenty of eggs.  My goal is to get my blood sugar back down and maybe lose some extra pounds in the process.  I think it's working.

From the Kitchen... lots of healthy foods!  I've learned to make my own mayonnaise, to use in salads.  My favorite is the broccoli salad with bacon, raisins and nuts.  So very good.  I've been roasting chicken, pork and beef on Sundays for a nice Sabbath meal and then using the leftovers throughout the week.  I've adapted my Butternut Squash recipe to Whole 30 compliant.   A grilled hamburger pilled high with sautéed mushrooms, peppers and onions is so delicious, I don't even miss the bun.  Mashed sweet potatoes with coconut milk and raisins tastes like dessert.   I am never hungry on this eating plan and haven't struggled with cravings, so far.

I am pondering... "Ultimate hope and daily grumpiness are not reconcilable.  It is ungraceful, unjustified and unbecoming of us as committed Church members to be constantly grumpy or of woeful countenance.  Do we have moments of misery or some down days?  Yes!  But the promise is that Christ will 'lift thee up' (Moroni 9:25)"           Elder Neal A. Maxwell

Some plans for the rest of the month... visiting teaching, lunch with Sandy, a temple trip where I'll meet up with a dear friend, gathering tax documents and book club meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment