Monday, January 12, 2015

Listen

Listen.  This is my word for 2015.  If you are confused about this whole word thing, you can go here, where I explained why I sometimes choose a special word at the beginning of each year.  And here is a post about last year's word.   

Shhhh.  Be quiet.  Listen.  This is what I want to do more of this year and I'm already excited about the prospects.  I'm learning to slow my pace.  I say I'm learning, because it's not my natural tendency.  I'm all about productivity and to me that usually means, hit the floor running early in the morning and don't slow down until it's time to hit the sack.  A Melissa in motion, tends to stay in motion.  Not really what Newton meant in his Law of Inertia, but it's worked for me.  And if it's worked, you might wonder why I would want to change things up.
First of all, I believe each day is a gift, and I don't want to waste any of that precious time.  For this reason, I'm a planner.  I've learned from experience that when I don't plan, the things I want to do or should do, often don't happen.  Also, I'm a bit of a control freak, which is an improvement upon the huge control freak that I used to be.  Funny, how life's experiences teach us that even when we think we are in control, we're not.  I heard a speaker say once, that it must make God smile at times to watch us planning out our lives so strategically.  And then He probably says, " Now that looks pretty good, but this is what's really going to happen."  I've learned to plan out my day and then pray about it.  I pray to have the grace to go with the flow, especially when it turns out to look anything but what I had planned.

I'm still going to be that type A girl who sets goals and plans her days.  Just read on.  You'll see.  This is the way Heavenly Father made me, so it can't be all bad, right?  But I'm working a little margin into my life.  (Have you read this book about margin? - so good!)  I don't really have to over plan every day.  In fact, I could actually under plan it a little.  Some of the most lovely things happen when you aren't expecting them.  It's hard to really listen to anything when you're in an activity whirlwind, surrounded by noise and people.  Margin can help balance this condition. 

Here comes the planning part.  To be intentional about my word for the year...
* I will try to start each day with quiet time.  "Be still and know that I am God."  To me, this means sitting in my favorite chair and not only reading scripture and pouring out my heart to Him, but listening to Him speak to me.  Too often, I say my prayers, full of thank you's and please help me's, and then jump up and move on to the next thing on the list.  Oh, how I want to stop doing that.  I need to just be still and listen!

* Try to visit the temple as often as possible. Sit in the celestial room and listen.

* I will listen to the counsel I receive from my leaders and determine how I can be faithful to their words.  Just this Sunday, I heard a leader counsel me (and everyone else in the congregation) to have scripture study with my husband,  to support through prayer our new Stake Presidency, and let the atonement help me with the challenges and hardships I face in life.  Because I listened, I left that meeting convicted about some changes I needed to make.    

* When I'm with others, I will try to talk less and listen more. Instead of thinking of what my response will be to what's being said, I will just listen.  Have you ever noticed how difficult this is?
I will try not to interrupt others while they are speaking.  I do this too often.  Just ask my daughter.

* I will try to listen with my heart and not judge others.  Enough said. 

* I will slow down to smell the roses, really, I will.  And listen to the birds, the rain, and the other beautiful sounds that nature offers, but I'm often too busy to notice.
* I will listen to beautiful music, music that uplifts and inspires and  maybe, even music that I might not find beautiful, but could learn to appreciate, if I really listened.

* I will be a better friend, one who is available.  Sometimes I hesitate to call a friend, when I would like to, afraid that I might interrupt their schedules.  I expect others might feel that way about me too.  I want "my people" to be more important than any "to do" list.  I would love it if my friends could say about me, "She is a good listener."

* I will try to listen to what people are saying, even when they might not be saying it, by looking at their faces and their body language.  The still small voice is the best interpreter, helping me know what's needed when I might not know myself.  Learning to listen to that voice, takes a lifetime of practice. 
Ok.  That's it.  I think it's a good word.  I'm excited about where it might lead me this year and how I might grow in the process.  I've shared my plans, now I wonder what the Lord has planned for me.

How about you?  Have you ever chosen a word for the year? 

No comments:

Post a Comment