Friday, January 9, 2015

A Year of Family

Last January I wrote this post about my "word for the year".  Seems like I just blinked my eyes and here I am a year later, thinking about a "word" for 2015.  Before I get into that though, I want to pause and reflect on family, because that was the word I chose.  I had hoped to spend lots of time with those I love the most and strengthen relationships along the way.  I wanted to savor special moments, discover new things and celebrate some of the highlights of family life.    

I love my family so much, and want to be with them, but to be perfectly honest, it's not always easy.  These are the people who've seen me at my best and worst, and vice versa.  The ones I want to hug one minute and possibly wring their necks the next.  Just kidding.  Sort of.  Heavenly Father knew we needed to be in families.  This is where we get to practice patience, forgiveness, unselfishness, long-suffering and charity.  We're really just a bunch of sinful people, trying to become a little less so.   I wouldn't want you to think otherwise.  The beautiful thing about a family, is that in the midst of all of this, we find pockets of real joy.   As I look over my pictures and journal entries for last year, I am reminded of how very blessed I am.  There have been many, many happy moments for which I'm eternally grateful. 

Life is loud and busy, and pulls in many directions.  Every day we have to make decisions about how we will spend our time and energy.  Family members are all in different seasons of life and it can be tricky to make time to be together.  Back in January, that time when all those paper goals look so attainable, I set some lofty intentions and was determined to make them happen.  I would spend more time with my husband.  We would take a vacation.   I would have the kids over for family meals on a regular basis.  I would visit my dad monthly.  I would check in with my adult kids every week.  I would take time to get away for a mother daughter weekend.  I would spend time with my sisters, visiting Sherri in Utah and meeting up with Cindy at least every other month ( after all, she lives so close).  I would try to visit my brother's family during the year.  I wanted to become more involved in my nephews lives.  I would have mom and dad Wray over more often, maybe a Sunday meal once a month.  I would remember birthdays and celebrate anniversaries.  I would be the best mother of the groom you ever saw.  I would.  I would.  I would... 

You get the picture, right?  The weeks flew by and they turned into months and wow, it's hard to make all those things happen.  But having a "word for the year" helped me stay focused and reminded me that if I wanted something to happen, I needed to plan it and put it on the calendar.  That approach yielded some great results.  Along with the "planned" activities, I learned that I could often capture the fringe moments, and make them special too.  Sometimes the unplanned events can be the most memorable.  Tender mercies for sure.

So, here's a little photo recap of some of my favorite "word of the year" moments from 2014.  

I'm grateful for each day with this good man.  
My kids.
Travis and Rebecca's wedding was a beautiful time, when all our family came together to surround the happy couple with love and best wishes as they started their own family.  That weekend was a blur for me, but as I look back on it, I have fond memories of watching my kids interact and feeling support from my extended family who came from near and far to be with us.  And most importantly, I gained a daughter.
I had numerous occasions to be with my dad and stepmom.  (she must have been behind the camera on these).  I especially enjoyed this visit to my Nana's farm.  So many precious family memories have been made here over the years.
Oh, there she is (my stepmom) along with my sister and nephew.
A rare photo op with my niece who lives in Virginia.  I was so happy to have her at the wedding.
Sister pictures
I made that trip to Utah!
Helping my nephew build his first gingerbread house.
And can't forget my puppies, who turned 2 this year.  
Even though she's awfully busy, my sister in law and I carved out some time to be together.
And good friends, who are like sisters to me, make me smile whenever they are around. They get me, you know?  And I always feel better after having been in their company.
 2014 wasn't all smiles and definitely had it's share of challenges, but these pictures remind me that God is good and loves me a lot.  I let these two scriptures be my guide this past year.  Of course, I fell short at times, but thank goodness for the gift of repentance.  
" A new commandment I give unto you, that you love one another as I have loved you..."
John 13:34

"  Be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. " 
 1 Timothy 4:12

Yes, God is so very good.

P.S.  Our family will be growing in 2015 as Travis 
and Rebecca welcome their first child.  I'm going
to be a grandma! Get ready for some baby pictures.

2 comments:

  1. You certainly made some wonderful memories in 2014. May you and yours have a very blessed 2015. Love to all the Wrays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my friend. Love you right back!

    ReplyDelete