Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Linville Gorge

We drove east today, towards Marion and then bumped our way along a dirt road for miles before landing at the trailhead.  It was warm enough to shed jackets before we took one step.  Whohoo! Spring certainly was in the air.  Even though it was overcast for much of the hike, the sun made an appearance on our descent from the mountain and I ended up with a nasty sunburn.  Time to put sunblock in the backpack.
We hiked up the mountain on a rocky trail for the first mile or so.  Lots of switchbacks, with views of scrubby brush and burned tree trunks from a fire in 2002 and 2007.  
As we climbed, we could turn behind us to see the lovely views of Lake James.
We hiked on Shortoff Trail and part of the Mountain to the Sea.
The Linville Gorge is sometimes called the Grand Canyon of the East.  It is breathtaking, but I think that might be an optimistic description.  Here's a view of Hawksbill Rock in the distance.
(Photos Courtesy of Julie Eargle)
We hiked across the ridge and into some forested areas.  Check out these interesting pine cones. 
(Photo courtesy of Julie Eargle)
We came upon a rare mountain bog, teeming with tadpoles.
I was surprised to spot this pussy willow in bloom.  It's one of my favorite spring plants.
Another fantastic lunch view.  
(Photo courtesy of Julie Eargle)
New growth after the fire.

(Photo courtesy of Julie Eargle)
Looking down into the Linville Gorge.
And one last view of Lake James, because it's so beautiful.
What a great day.  I say this after every hike.  I've come to look forward to my Friday hiking adventures, knowing that I will see something beautiful in God's creations, learn something new that will inspire me from my hiking friends and give my body a good workout, while allowing my spirit to rest and recover from the stresses of daily life.  It's a combination that can't be beat.

* Take the Time goal # 16 - Participate in as many Friday hikes as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment