Tuesday, March 1, 2016

A "Gorges" Day

Today we ventured a little further out than we normally do, in order to visit Gorges State Park near Highlands.  Oh my goodness, was it worth the drive!  This is now one of my favorite hikes ever!  Before we hit the trail we stopped by the visitors center, which is a grand building in itself.  Sorry, I forgot to take a picture, but this is the view off the deck looking into the gorge.  We had a beautiful sunny day for this hike.
The main trails were well maintained, and even though there was some climbing, overall, I didn't think this was a hard hike.  Maybe I'm just comparing it to last week though, which was a killer.  They're not kidding when they say you should stay on the trail.  There are some dangerous areas and one slip at the wrong place would put you headed down the river.
 Have I been here before?
A little creek crossing is fun, as long as the rocks aren't too wobbly and slick.  Hiking with wet feet is not fun!  We crossed without mishap, coming and going.  This was the beginning, of what would be hours spent hiking by the water, as the trail keeps close to the river all the way to the end.  This was an in and out trail, which I don't mind at all.  I usually see something on the return trip that I missed going by the first time.  Plus everything in nature looks different depending on the time of day, the weather conditions and your frame of mind.
The Horsepasture River had an especially swift current thanks to a few days of rain earlier in the week.
I loved how we could walk out on these big rocks and feel like we were right in the middle of the river.  So, maybe we veered off the trail a bit from time to time, but we were very careful!  Look at the icicles hanging from the laurel by the waters edge.
This was my lunch spot.  I mean, really, does it get much better?
Here's our crowd gathering around the river, taking a little break, while Julie scouts ahead.  See her on that rock in the distance.  She has an explorers spirit that is contagious. 
Selena's making her way over a downed log, on a side trail.
Steeper sections of the trail had steps, making it easier to travel.
Imagine hiking along, being able to hear thunderous water but not seeing it.  Then you turn a corner and there it is.  WOW!  Rainbow Falls was so beautiful.  And powerful.  I was overcome with the beauty of it all.
The trail leads you through spray from the falls and we all looked like we had stepped out of the shower, by the time we had taken pictures and viewed it from every angle.
Me and Julie in front of Rainbow Falls.
Further on down the trail we came to Turtleback Falls.  In the summer, people slide down this one.  No thanks. I think I'll pass.
Here we are looking down on Turtleback.
The trail ends here.  Time to turn around and head back.
Our third waterfall of the day was Drift Falls and this is as close as we could get to it, because it's on private property.  Can you imagine having this in your backyard?
It was such a great day.  I loved this hike, the weather was perfect and the company delightful.  Heavenly Father's blessings were abundant and I could not help but praise Him all along the way, for allowing me to be there and experience it all.  

*Take the Time goal #16 - Participate in as many Friday hikes as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment