Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Hiking in Montreat

This was a hard one.  Two days after the hike and my thighs and my knees and my ankles are still sore!   I think Julie is trying to see how tough we are!  

This entrance to the Memorial Garden was the first thing we saw after unloading from our cars and getting our packs on.  It looked innocent enough at the trailhead. 
We crossed over Flat Creek and almost immediately began to climb.  And then we climbed and climbed, one switchback after another.  What goes up must come down, so it was mostly an up and down day, not that I'm complaining or anything...
The three M's stopping to catch our breath, Margie, Maggie and me.
(Photo Credit- Julie Eargle)
There were lovely long range views through the leafless trees.
And some serious icicles.
Pointing out some landmarks from Rainbow Mountain Trail.
The view from Rattlesnake Summit.
The lunch bunch at the summit.
(Photo Credit: Maggie Skroski)
Maggie snagged the best seat. 
(Photo Credit- Julie Eargle)
Billy Graham's log house sits straight ahead in the valley.
We hiked the Rainbow Mountain Trail, Rainbow Road, the Old Mitchell Toll Road, the Rattlesnake Trail and the Old Trestle Road for a total of 6.5 miles.  I'm so glad Julie knows where she's going.  We're a very trusting bunch.

 It was a beautiful day to be in the woods, and climb mountains!  The hardest hikes are the most memorable.  Have I mentioned that I love this hiking club?

*Take the Time Goal #16 - Participate in as many Friday hikes as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment