Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Norman Wilder Trail

Yikes!  I'm getting behind on my hiking posts.  A couple of weeks ago, the club headed to the Norman Wilder Forest in Tryon.  This is so close to my home and I had no idea it existed.  I think it would be fun to do a "staycation" and explore all the interesting things within a hundred mile radius of your home.  Another possible project, for the project girl.  That would be me.  

Today I got my wish to hike in the snow.  It was beautiful and tapered off after about thirty minutes, so thankfully we didn't get too wet.  It was a cold day though and each week I'm learning how to better dress for winter hiking. 

Evidence of the snow

An old homesite at the beginning of the trail.
Stacked rock walls in the forest means at one time this land was cleared for homes and pastures.  My husband has helped me have a greater appreciation for beautiful rock walls.
Mountain stream
Our fearless leader getting her bearings on the trail map
I'm happy we didn't have to cross on the old bridge!
(Photo Credit- Julie Eargle)
Our hiking group today.  Aren't we a colorful bunch?
(Photo Credit- Julie Eargle)
Our lunch spot under Drip Falls.  Food tastes so good in the great outdoors! 
(Photo Credit- Julie Eargle)
Naturalized bulbs are another sign that at one time there was a home close by.  This was my first daffodil sighting of the year.  Springs a coming!
I'm super grateful for these Friday hikes.  On a cold day, it could be tempting to curl up by the fire and read a book, and some times that is exactly what I want to do.  But, bundling up and heading out into the woods is exhilarating.  I can imagine this trail in the summer when the trees are leafed out, and though it would be lovely, there would be missed long range views that we can enjoy now.  Not having to worry about swatting bugs this time of year is a bonus and there's interesting plants that stand out, ready to be noticed against a brown landscape.  Every season has its beauty and I'm appreciating winter more this year thanks to my Friday hikes.

*Take the Time Goal #16 - Participate in as many Friday hikes as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment