Thursday, February 4, 2016

Girls Weekend in Charleston

I've been counting down the days for this little get away.  I left on Thursday for a long weekend escape from reality, which meant plenty of snow still on the ground at my house.  I was ready for sunshine, sleeping in beds I didn't have to make and eating great food that I didn't prepare or have to clean up after!  I started the  weekend with a visit to the temple.  Since I would be going through Columbia on my way to Charleston, it seemed like a good plan.  I usually attend in the morning, but this evening session was nice. I loved having time to linger in the celestial room without feeling rushed to get back on the road and head home.  I stayed in Columbia that night and headed to Charleston the next morning.
This is a sight that thrills me every time I see it.  That Ravenel Bridge is something else.  And look at those blue skies! 

I met up with my dear friend, Lynette at our hotel in Mt. Pleasant.  Accommodations are much more reasonable on that side of the bridge and I don't mind crossing back and forth to go into Charleston.  We hadn't seen each other in a year and had lots of catching up to do.  Walking on the beach is a great place for that.  We both love Isle of Palms.  The salty air and the sound of the waves on the beach are a tonic that cures the winter doldrums.  Walking barefoot in the sand, with the wind blowing my hair, I was in heaven!   
We decided to start the day on Saturday by walking across the bridge.  Lynette is nursing a running injury, so she jogged part of the distance, while I walked and took pictures.  I had neglected to bring my good walking shoes and by the time I finished the five miles over and back, my feet were letting me know about it!  It was worth it though. 
The views from the bridge were lovely.
We went into Charleston later in the day for a historic walking tour.  Two hours of information about the history and architecture of the city and probably the best twenty dollars I spent all weekend.  I plan to take a tour each time I visit in the future.  This was Lynette's fourth tour and she said each one has been different and offered her new information.  Walking the streets of Charleston is a complete delight, even when your feet are screaming in pain.
We spotted our dinner destination as soon as we came out of the parking garage.   More on that later.
The Pink House, built around 1712, is believed to be the oldest remaining structure in the city.   The pink exterior comes from the coral limestone brought over as ballast in the ships from Bermuda.
Road beds made of cobblestones used as ballast in the ships.
I loved learning about the features on the typical Charleston Single houses.  This architectural style refers to houses built one room wide with double covered porches.  They can be several stories high but the narrow part of the house always faces the street.  If that front door was opened, it meant the family was receiving guests, if it was closed it meant, do not disturb.  Of course everything had a practical purpose as well, like the stone outside the door in the picture below.  That was for the ladies to step up into their carriages.
If only these old trees could talk, the stories they would tell!
This plaque on a house meant it was insured in case of fire, which was a serious threat in Charleston.
The Dock Street Theatre
Charleston is called the Holy City because of the many beautiful churches gracing it's streets.
Throughout the city, you will find these artisans making their sweetgrass baskets.  Brought to the area by African slaves over three hundred years ago, this art form is a treasure that is still passed down from one generation to the next.  This artist said she has already taught her grandchildren how to weave.  These baskets are amazing.  On this trip, I just admired and resisted buying.
Look how lush and green this garden is.  Peeking through the gate we could imagine ladies in hoop skirts entertaining their guests.  Our guide told us they planted very fragrant flowers not only because they were beautiful, but to distract from the unsanitary smells of the streets.
Colonial Charles town was a walled city, fortified from attacks from land and sea.
Walking along the Battery, was one of the most beautiful areas on the peninsula.  This is where the Cooper (pronounced coopa by the locals) and Ashley River meet and an important location in the early history of Charleston.
This is the famous Rainbow Row of fourteen historic homes built near the waterfront in the 18th century on East Bay street.  all brightly painted with pastel colors, some say this was so the drunken sailors would know which house to enter. 

After our walking tour ended we did a little shopping.  Neither of us are big shoppers, but we do like a nice specialty store, especially those involving food.  Low Country Oil was a ton of fun. 
We both left with a few bottles of interesting vinegars and some oils for experimenting with back at home.  Blood orange and pear cranberry vinegar for me and Market Street praline pecan olive oil for both of us.  We enjoyed brainstorming possibilities for that one!  A stop at the French Bakery and a stroll through Anthropologie and we were content.   We had much anticipated dinner plans at Husk and oh my, what can I say?  A lot.  That will be my next post. 

The next morning we came back to Charleston and attended the French Huguenot Protestant Church.  On our walking tour we learned that the church was founded in 1681 by Huguenot refugees from France.  The church on the site today was built in 1845 and we were told they were very welcoming to visitors.  (Even those in jeans, yikes!)   We were intrigued and wanted to see the inside of the church, as well as experience their worship service.   
The first hymn was sung in French.
The service was lovely and included music and readings from these books.
A very knowledgeable docent gave us a tour of the church after the service.  It was beautiful.
I especially loved the scripture admonition over the door.
This was the cemetery located by the church.
We couldn't go home without having some shrimp and grits.  
What a fantastic weekend.  It included all the things I love.  History, culture, the beach, walking, great food and plenty of friend time.  I've decide the end of January is the perfect time to visit Charleston.  The weather is nice, the crowds are light and the room rates are off season.  It's just about the time when I need a reprieve from the cold mountain weather and a rest from the post holiday activities.  I think this should become a tradition!

I returned home eager to learn more about Charleston and the Huguenots.  Now, it's time to dig into some research, one of my favorite things.  

*Take the Time Goals #36 - Walk on a beach.    #38 Take lots of pictures. #45 Attend the temple monthly.  

1 comment:

  1. Russ & I spent 2 days in Charleston (and 2 in Savannah) before he left for Oregon 4 years ago. We adored Charleston! We did a horse-drawn carriage tour and it was awesome, and easier on the feet. ;) The old houses are so beautiful! And the churches are amazing. I was startled to hear how many of them had burned down!

    ReplyDelete