Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Lunch on the Rock

With all the anxiety and stress on Election Day, I think I was in the best place possible - the woods.   Taking a hike is one of the most centering things I can do for myself.  Deeply breathing the fresh air and the earthy scent of the leaves, crossing over mountain streams and getting the heart pumping while climbing a mountain, all with the best company possible is medicine for the soul.  Besides, I had already voted, so I could say a prayer for God's will to be done and go on about my day.  This election is a mess.  A real mess.
Abby and Kelly wanted to hike John Rock before all the leaves were gone, and we barely made it.  Last year we hiked this same trail and I tripped on a rock on the way down, taking a nasty fall.  Falling face first into the dirt, I sat up covered in blood and looked pretty scary.  The girls administered first aid and took good care of me.  Today, they reminisced about that day in great detail, remembering the exact spot I fell.  I can only remember how much my nose hurt.  They also brought along a first aid kit, just in case.  Since then, I've started hiking with trekking poles and I feel much safer on rocky and root covered trails. 
 It looks as though the windy days have brought down some tree branches that were covering the trail.  It is so dry, and I've never seen the water so low in the creeks.  We didn't even get our feet wet, when crossing, which I guess is good, but often happens in this  spot.
Kelly and I took lots of pictures along the way,
and they spotted a newt, but it was too fast for her to catch.
Just hanging out in the trees...
This girl is a monkey.
I never tire of the excitement I feel when I step out on the rock and see this view.  It was a cloudy day, but the sun came out often and rewarded us with some spectacular photos.  It was actually perfect weather for hiking.  We started out cool, but warmed up and shed our jackets as we climbed the mountain.
The best lunch spot at 3010 feet.
I had to keep asking the girls to come back a little.  They were comfortable on the rock, having been here before and maybe a little too adventurous for me.   They were making me nervous.
Our John Rock selfie with a view of Looking Glass.
I'm pretty sure this was a dry creek bed.  Oh, this drought!
One of the fun things about this trail are all the bridges you get to cross.  It makes me so happy to see young people enjoying the outdoors, with no devices except cameras. 
Such beauty.  I said silent prayers all day for the opportunity to live in this place, to be healthy enough to hike, and to share this experience with my friends.
Last picture of the hike, beside the Davidson River.  I love these girls so much, but they're growing up too fast.  I'm thrilled that they still want to hang out with me and go hiking.   Notice that Kelly found a way to end up with muddy shoes.  A little water and the dusty trails was all it took.  She ran, jumped, hung from trees and laughed all along the way.  I love her spunky spirit.
When you climb a mountain, you've earned an ice cream cone.

No comments:

Post a Comment