Saturday, December 31, 2016

The Last Hike of the Year

When the forecasted temperatures are for highs in the 30's, we head south, hoping it will be a little warmer.  In fact, we joke about how much warmer it feels when we cross the South Carolina line.  Today we hiked in the Eastatoe Creek Heritage Preserve on part of the Foothills Trail that runs from Jones Gap State Park to Oconee State Park.  I continue to be astonished at Julie's skill in scouting and locating these amazing hikes.  She really is the best!
We hiked the red trail and it was well maintained, with steps and bridges that made for an enjoyable hike.  I hadn't been on the trail in a few weeks, with all the Christmas activities going on and was thinking this was going to be hard on me today.  Even though I had been diligent with my yoga practice, I just hadn't had the time to fit the hiking into the schedule.  We hiked a little over five miles, but it   was pleasant and not too challenging.  It felt so good to be out in the woods with friends.
I've come to appreciate the beauty of winter hiking.  I used to think the leafless season was depressing, because I love green so much.  But spending time in the woods, not just looking at it from a distance, is a totally different experience.  The lines of the mountain peaks can be seen through the trees and there are so many shades of brown and rust.  The evergreens have their chance to show off. 
I also tend to notice what's at my feet more when I'm not looking up at the trees.  I have no idea what this is, but it's hanging on to this rock and it's interesting.
We stopped often to either take off or put on layers.
This lovely falls was the finale of the trail.
Lunch spot.
This was our group today, minus Julie who was taking the photo.
There she is.  Our fearless leader.
This was my favorite shot today.  Nothing fancy.  Just rows and rows of leafless trees, mountain ridges and blue skies.  Midwinter beauty.
Sugar Babe takes us wherever we want to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment