Thursday, July 26, 2012

Ugly Bread

Six months ago, I started making our bread. It was time to start using some of that wheat I've had in storage for years.  It's become a healthy habit and we love it.  Week after week I've been grinding wheat, mixing dough and baking bread that looks like this.  Not too bad, huh?  It's possible that I might, just might, have started to feel a little "puffed up" about my bread.
 I'd just begun to think I had this recipe mastered when a few days ago, my bread came out of the oven looking like this.  Same exact recipe, but something was definitely amiss.  I have no idea what happened.
I've been humbled.

4 comments:

  1. Probably the dew points were off :) and it had nothing to do with your baking. Don't get discouraged, next time it will be beautiful again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the humidity will defintly make a difference in baking, remember your mom and i did a little baking one time, love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe I would still eat that bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out of curiosity - I googled it, and this is what I found:

    Bread falls in the oven for two main reasons:
    The dough was left to rise too long. It should only be allowed to double in size.
    The flour was low in gluten so the dough could not rise.

    @Sherri - dew point? or humidity??

    ReplyDelete