Monday, February 24, 2014

Cheesy Potato Soup

Potato soup is comfort food at its best.  And this one is especially nice, loaded with veggies and sharp cheddar cheese.  It's one of the few meals my husband will actually request from time to time.  When he does, I try to honor his request, and if I have some fresh bread to go along with it, that makes it even better.

This recipe originally came from a friend at church, although I've changed it up so much, I doubt she would recognize it now.  The original called for smoked sausage and I eliminated that.  I added more vegetables and less cheese.  Don't you worry though, it's still plenty cheesy. 

Once you have the chopping out of the way, this soup comes together in about thirty minutes.  I diced onion, celery and carrots in small dices.  Remember the smaller the dice, the quicker it cooks. The carrots take the longest, so make sure you get those pretty small.  I diced the potatoes a little larger, because I like to bite into a potato when I eat potato soup.  I had one yukon gold that needed to be used, if you're wondering why my potatoes are different colors.  
Melt butter in a soup pot and then add onion, celery and carrots, stirring occasionally, until onions start to soften.  
Add flour and mix with veggies.
The mixture will be very dry.
Stir in dijon mustard, worchestershire sauce and chicken broth.
Add potatoes, give it a stir and cover.  Simmer on low, stirring often, because those potatoes like to try and stick to the bottom of the pot.   Make sure the vegetables stay covered with liquid.  You can add more chicken broth or water if needed, as it cooks.
I love broccoli in this soup, but I don't like mushy broccoli.  In order to prevent that problem, you can wait and add the broccoli near the end of the cooking time, maybe five or six minutes, before the rest of the veggies are fork tender.  Or you can steam your broccoli in a separate pot, and add it at the end.  Either way works fine.

While the soup is cooking, grate your cheese.  I like to use a very sharp cheddar, white or yellow.  I find that I can get by with using less if I use a very flavorful cheese.  Of course, you could use a mild cheddar or another cheese of your choice. 
When the veggies are tender, add the cheese and let it melt.  Then add milk.  I like to use half and half if I have it, but you could use anything from skim to cream.  How creamy do you want your soup?  Do not let the soup come to a boil after you've added you cheese and milk.  This is really important.  It will cause the dairy to curdle and even though you could still eat it, well, the texture is just all wrong.  This happened to me once, and since then, I've been more careful.
Get ready for a comforting meal.  Mmmmm.  Enjoy.  
My next post will be a spicy potato soup with Italian sausage and kale. 

Completely different, equally delicious!

Cheesy Potato Soup
1 large onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
2 large carrots, diced
4 T. butter
1/4 cup flour
3/4 t. dijon mustard
2t. worchestershire sauce
2  cups chicken broth- or more as needed
2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup broccoli florets
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2- 3 cups milk

Saute onion, celery and carrots in butter.   Stir in flour.
Add mustard and worchestershire sauce.  Stir in broth
and potatoes.  Bring to boil and lower heat.  Cover.  Cook
until veggies are tender, stirring often, adding more broth
as needed.  Add broccoli near end of cooking time or steam
in separate pot.  Add cheese and let melt.  Add milk.  Cook
over medium heat until hot.  Do not boil!  If using steamed 
broccoli, add at the end.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm...I want to try that! Although my kids get so grumpy if I do anything different to potato soup!

    ReplyDelete