Saturday, January 9, 2016

Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head

I was looking forward to my first hike of the new year and was sad to wake up and see rain in the forecast.  After checking my email for last minute cancellations, and seeing nothing there, I packed my rain jacket and headed out to meet the group.  The closer we got to the trailhead, the harder it rained.  When we got to Tryon, Julie (our fearless leader) decided we should take a little time to hike through the antique store while waiting for the rain to slow down. 
(Photo Credit- Julie Eargle) 
 Eventually it did slow down and we were able to hit the woods. One thing I love about this hiking club is that we often go places I've never been before.  This trail wasn't far from my home, but I had no idea it existed.  
We're just getting out of the cars and ready to hike in this picture.  It's still drizzling rain, so we've all got our hoods on and I'm trying out my rain cover on my backpack for the first time.  
Such a beautiful entrance to the trail.
The leaders of the pack.  I usually find myself somewhere in the middle or bringing up the rear.  I like to stop and take pictures, although sometimes I get busy talking and forget, like I did today and then I'm glad Julie is snapping shots all along the way.
Raindrops on the landscape.  Beautiful.
(Photo Credit- Julie Eargle)
The trail took us past several ponds and a waterfall.
This laurel was all decked out for Christmas.
(Photo Credit- Julie Eargle)
(Photo Credit- Julie Eagle)
(Photo Credit- Julie Eargle)
This was our lunch spot.
(Photo Credit- Julie Eargle)
(Photo Credit- Julie Eargle)
We hiked about four miles and I enjoyed every minute of it. I've been caught in rainstorms before when I was hiking, nasty torrential rain, thunder and lightning and that is no fun!  But this light drizzly rain felt nice on my nose.  My rain cover and shell kept me and my pack dry.  The brown landscape was beautiful, covered in droplets of rain.  Although I had felt a bit skeptical about how this hike was going to turn out, it was peaceful and very enjoyable.  A nice way to start the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment