Monday, January 18, 2016

So Much Ricotta. What Was I Thinking?

The menu plan for last week worked out pretty well. 
Menus
( use pancetta, onions, 3/4 apple and squash from storage)
Pork Chops with Cranberry Orange Sauce- Check!
( use leftover cranberry sauce, oranges and ginger)
Broccoli and Sweet and Sour Cabbage (red cabbage)
We had sautéed kale and sweet potatoes. The cabbage didn't happen.

*Meet Miss Margeaux Party*
Lasagna- Check! 
( use ricotta and cottage cheese, mozzarella, parmesan, 
 Italian sausage, the rest of onions and pesto.  Make marinara sauce)
Salad and Bread
Jean Hyder's Apple Cake
( use apples)
Chocolate Sheet Cake - I decided against this.  Made chocolate chip cookies instead.

Chicken Piccata - Check!
Sautéed Kale  Steamed Broccoli
Sweet Potatoes (from storage)

Pizza -Check!
( mozzarella, canadian bacon, pineapple tidbits, artichoke hearts)
Salad

Sunday Roast - Check!
(roast from freezer, onions, carrots and celery)
Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
Green Beans (from storage)

How did I do with food waste?
I had to throw away the artichoke hearts.  By the end of 
the week, when I made pizza, they were too old and slimy.
I should have put them in the freezer.  I hated that, but overall,
 I guess losing one little container of food wasn't so bad.
  Trying again this week for zero waste!



What do I have in the refrigerator to work with?
roast beef
marinara sauce
mashed potatoes
green beans
cooked lasagna noodles
(am I the only one who always cooks too many noodles?)
lots of ricotta
fresh broccoli
red cabbage (it's still there)
celery and carrots
romaine lettuce
salami and sandwich ham
mozzarella and parmesan cheese
grated cheddar cheese
 a little bit of pesto
eggs

When I shopped last week for the lasagna party, I was at Sam's and picked up a large container of Ricotta.  I already had a small one at home!  I guess I thought that if I made two large pans of lasagna that I would need that much ricotta.  Not so!  Now, I have a lot of ricotta to use, and this is one item that I'm notorious for letting go to waste. It tends to get pushed to the back and resurfaces after it's too late.  My challenge this week is to see how many ways I can use that ricotta.  Zero waste!

Menu Plan for January 18-24 

(using the leftover lasagna noodles and ricotta)

Chicken Marsala with Mushrooms and Sage
Mashed Potatoes (leftovers)
Broccoli

Black Bean Quesadillas
(Use romaine lettuce, shredded cheddar)


Grilled Chicken Asian Salad
(Use some of the red cabbage with salad greens)


Vegetable Beef Soup
(Use leftover roast beef and green beans )


Stuffed Shells
(Use marinara , parmesan, mozzarella and ricotta)
Salad and Bread


Pork Roast
Acorn Squash ( in storage)
Sweet and Sour Cabbage (use red cabbage!)

Possible Ricotta Recipes to Try

*Take the Time Goal #33- Plan weekly dinner menus. Eliminate food waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment