Monday, January 25, 2016

Soup Days

Menu Plan for Last Week
and how it all turned out. 

(using the leftover lasagna noodles and ricotta)
****  I thought this soup recipe sounded unusual.  But I had those lasagna noodles,
and that ricotta, so I was willing to give it a try.  It turned out to be absolutely delicious!
 I used the recipe linked above, and cut my cooked lasagna noodles in small pieces,
instead of using the noodles called for in the recipe.  I think it was the roasted garlic
and fire roasted tomatoes that made it truly fantastic.  The ricotta went into the
bowl first and then I ladled the hot soup over it, resulting in melty, creamy cheese.
I'm thinking about making this again soon and instead of using lasagna noodles,
 I'm going to use tiny shell pasta.
Chicken Marsala with Mushrooms and Sage -Check!
Mashed Potatoes (leftovers)
Broccoli
Black Bean Quesadillas -Moved to this week's menu
(Use romaine lettuce, shredded cheddar)


Grilled Chicken Asian Salad - Check!
(Use some of the red cabbage with salad greens)


Vegetable Beef Soup  - Check!
(Use leftover roast beef and green beans )
Artisan Bread
I used the bit of pesto I had in the refrigerator and diced up some of my
dried tomatoes to add to this bread.  It was great!
This soup was especially flavorful, because I made my  own beef stock.
  I roasted the meaty bones and some vegetables
and then put it all into a huge pot, covered with water, and let it simmer for
 two days.  Really.  Two days. I then strained it and put it into jars.  
A couple of those jars went into the veggie beef soup.
Stuffed Shells
(Use marinara , parmesan, mozzarella and ricotta)
Salad and Bread
I made gnocchi instead!
I'll blog about this recipe soon.  It was fantastic topped with a fresh marinara .
Pork Roast - Moved to this week's menu plan.
Acorn Squash ( in storage)
Sweet and Sour Cabbage (use red cabbage!)

Possible Ricotta Recipes to Try
Easy Ricotta Gnocchi

How did I do with food waste?
No food waste!

What Do I Have in the Fridge This Week?
broccoli
carrots
celery
romaine lettuce
beet greens (from freezer)
sandwich ham
mushrooms
red cabbage
some slightly shriveled apples
an orange
cheddar, ricotta, mozzarella and monterey jack cheeses
whole wheat tortillas


Menu Plan for Week of January 25
Black Bean Quesadillas
(use beet greens, cheddar, monterey jack and tortillas)

Quiche
 Make pie crusts.  Use ham, broccoli, mushrooms, cheese)
Salad ( Use romaine, carrots, celery, red cabbage)

Pork Roast
Sweet Potatoes (from storage)
Sweet and Sour Cabbage ( use red cabbage)
Apple Pie  ( use apples)


It's a short menu plan this week, because I'm leaving 
on Thursday, heading to Charleston for a girl's weekend with
my good friend, Lynette.  I'll be more than ready to get off
 this snowy mountain and soak up a little coastal sunshine and
 of course eat some wonderful seafood!  We have reservations
 at Husk, a restaurant I've been longing to visit and
 I'm looking forward to tasting for myself some of the food
 that's making Sean Brock a celebrity chef.  I'm leaving behind 
plenty of food in the freezer for my hubby, so he won't go
 hungry in my absence.  It's the least I can do...

*Take the Time Goals # 33- Make menus each week. Eliminate food waste. 
 #17 Eat less meat. 
 #20- Make pasta once a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment