Monday, January 11, 2016

Five Reasons to Menu Plan

It's a little past four.  Do you know what your having for dinner tonight?  It's a good day when I can answer yes to that question. I posted back here,  that menu planning is one of the goals I've set for myself this year.  Because I've done this before, I already know the benefits I'll enjoy as a result.  Taking the time to plan menus helps me in the following ways:  

First- it eliminates the dreaded four o'clock, "what's for dinner" panic, when you're standing in front of the refrigerator waiting for inspiration to strike.  At four o'clock, I've already passed my best "thinking" time of the day.  If I don't already know what we're having for dinner (and have it partly prepared) at this point, it's so tempting to get "take out" or eat something that isn't good for me.

Second- we eat better when I plan.  Seeing your meals on paper first, makes it easier to notice a less than healthy pattern, like a pasta, pizza, rice, potatoes week.  Carbs are comforting, easy to prepare and taste fantastic.  I love them and they are my "go to" food group when I need to put together a quick meal.   My body doesn't love them as much as my taste buds do though, so I'm a lot better off if I space them out.  

Third- I stick more closely to my ideal food philosophies when I take a little time to think about what we're going to eat.  What foods are seasonal?  What do I have from the garden?  What's in my storage and my freezer?  Where did my food come from?   How was it grown?  Who can I bless with a gift from the kitchen this week?  

Fourth- I can better practice hospitality, by opening my home to others for a meal, when I know I'm going to have something good to share.  When I plan meals, we entertain more often.

Fifth- I waste less food.  This is a big one for me.  It makes me crazy to know that because I haven't been thinking ahead and using what I have wisely, I'm dumping food in the garbage.  We are blessed beyond belief in this country to have a plethora of food choices on any given day.  While we Americans throw away forty percent of our food each year, one in nine people in the world are suffering from chronic hunger.  I'm sure there are hungry people right here in my own town.  I feel guilty and ungrateful when I neglect to use what I have in my kitchen before it goes to waste, either because of poor planning or being simply too busy or tired.  
I  took everything out of the fridge today and cleaned it well (even those door shelves).  Sadly, I had food that needed to be thrown away.  Condiment bottles that were years old, moldy cheese,  leftover egg whites (from making egg nog) that I was going to do something with after Christmas, a little canned pumpkin, too old Almond Milk, and salad dressings.  Now I have clean shelves with edible food and I can see what needs to be eaten.  The question then becomes, "How should I use these items this week"?  

* a little spring mix
* one whole wheat tortilla
* two links of Italian sausage
* red cabbage
* some broccoli
* two heads of celery ( I must have forgotten I already had celery!)
* a little cranberry sauce
* a little yellow pepper
* a little pizza sauce
* two slices canadian bacon
* marinated artichoke hearts
* pesto
* some diced onions
* cottage and ricotta cheese
* 3/4 of an apple
* blue cheese, mozzarella, cheddar, asiago, cream cheese ( I usually   have a healthy cheese drawer!)
* fresh ginger
* 1/2 of an avocado
* some pineapple tidbits
* lots of apples and oranges

Here's what I've planned...


Menus
( use pancetta, onions, 3/4 apple and squash from storage)
Pork Chops with Cranberry Orange Sauce
( use leftover cranberry sauce, oranges and ginger)
Broccoli and Sweet and Sour Cabbage (red cabbage)

*Meet Miss Margeaux Party*
Lasagna 
( use ricotta and cottage cheese, mozzarella, parmesan, 
 Italian sausage, the rest of onions and pesto.  Make marinara sauce)
Salad and Bread
Jean Hyder's Apple Cake
( use apples)
Chocolate Sheet Cake

Chicken Piccata
Sautéed Kale
Sweet Potatoes (from storage)

Pizza
( mozzarella, canadian bacon, pineapple tidbits, artichoke hearts)
Salad

Sunday Roast
(roast from freezer, onions, carrots and celery)
Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
Green Beans (from storage)

Six dinner plans leaves room for leftovers or maybe a restaurant meal, who knows?  I'll have a scrambled egg burrito for breakfast to use up that tortilla and yellow pepper,  and avocado toast on another morning.  I  would be smart to snack on apples, oranges and celery (with peanut butter).  If I can stick to the plan, I should have little or no food waste this week.  The grocery list is pretty short too, which makes me happy.   I've already got that squash soup simmering away on the stove, so I'm off to a good start.

*Take the Time goal #33- Make weekly menus. Eliminate food waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment